Chapter 8: The Train, The Robot, and The 81-Year-Old Legend

The next day, Stephanie politely asked Sir Topham Hatt if she could venture around the forest.

At first, Sir Topham Hatt was suspicious of why Stephanie wanted to venture into the forest.

But he shrugged it off his shoulders and gave permission to her, telling her to return to the mansion at seven o'clock.

Stephanie understood and agreed to the time before heading off to the forest.

Luckily, she took the map she had found inside Sir Topham Hatt's father's book from the shelf.

Stephanie continued walking towards the forest, following the map in her hands drawn on paper.

Along the way, Stephanie got a little sidetracked when she discovered some blackberry bushes along the side.

She picked some of them from the bushes to munch on but kept going on her way.

At some times, she read the directions on the hand-written map in her hand to see where she was going.

Soon, Stephanie approached the spot where the two machines were inside and found a rusty, old shed in the middle of the forest.

Curious about what could be inside the shed, Stephanie folded the map back up and placed it in her pocket.

She walked up to the front of the shed and noticed it was locked with a chain.

But it has rusted since how many years have passed.

Stephanie found a good-sized rock in her hand and smashed the rusty old lock with it.

The lock quickly fell off after she had smashed it once with her strength as it collapsed on the ground in the tall grass.

Once it was opened, Stephanie opened the shed after unraveling the chain from the handles.

Underneath her feet were old railroad tracks that lead outside the forest.

The reason no one could follow the railroad tracks is because it is hidden underneath the tall grass.

After smashing the old lock with the rock, she opened the doors with her strength.

She could see there was something inside the rusty, old shed.

At first, it made Stephanie feel curious and suspicious, but she gathered her courage and entered the shed.

Once Stephanie had entered the shed, she heard snoring from inside, and it felt almost cold.

Stephanie shuddered a little from the feeling but stayed inside the shed.

She pulled a flashlight out from her sweater pocket she had taken along with her and turned the light on.

After turning the light on, she could see a locomotive inside that was asleep.

It was bigger than Thomas himself but nearly the size of Gordon, too.

The steam locomotive inside the shed is a Nevada Central No. 2 type and looked like one from the book that Sir Topham Hatt's father wrote!

She had found the broken-down steam locomotive!

The steam locomotive looked like he or she was sleeping, as snoring sounds were coming from it and moving up and down gently.

Being as quiet as she could, Stephanie slowly walked around the sleeping steam locomotive.

From the design of the steam locomotive, Stephanie could see a four-wheeled tender behind him.

It was not full of coal, but it was empty too.