Chapter 10:‌ The Blue Mountain Quarry

Stephanie woke up too early the next day in her room, thinking she was a little late.

Maybe because Alice or any of the butlers did not wake her up for the day and perhaps busy with something else like everyone else?

Sitting up from her bed, Stephanie pushed the blankets aside and got dressed in her clothes, thinking that maybe everyone had already started work?

She was still confused as she went outside to look for anyone else, noticing that it was still nighttime, as the sun was rising from the distance slightly.

From Stephanie's perspective, it looked beautiful to her and felt like she had not seen the sun for a long time.

A soft smile appeared on her face as she continued watching the sunrise from the horizon, shuddering a little when a gust of cold wind gently blew past her.

But it did not matter to Stephanie.

Noticing that Bertie or any of the buses or cars were not driving around, knowing that it was still night.

So, Stephanie decided to walk to Knapford to have a look around at what was going on.

She placed her hood over her head to keep the slight cold wind from her face and started walking to Knapford on foot.

During her walk towards Knapford, Stephanie nervously rubbed her wrist with her hand, worried that something had happened while she was asleep, forgetting all about her.

She stopped a few times to calm her nerves down from feeling nervous about being alone, mostly scratching her arm a little underneath her sleeve.

Once she had reached Knapford after walking for a long time, Stephanie discovered that no one was there, to her confusion and worry.

Stephanie walked up to the abandoned station with worry, glancing around for whomever or which engine is awake at this time of day.

After glancing around for anyone else or any engines around, Stephanie looked over at the clock at the thought of what time it was, still a little cold.

She noticed that it was 5:54 in the night, and the sun had not risen from the horizon.

Alice usually wakes Stephanie up at 6:30 in the morning for a 'bright and lovely day' as she would say whenever she woke up.

However, her 'foster-father's' maid wakes everyone up at 3:40 in the morning, forcing everyone to wake up in the cold morning, and if anyone refuses, would get yanked out of bed, not caring if getting injured.

A shudder went down Stephanie's back as she remembered the shrill screeching of her 'foster-father's' evil maid, screaming at each child there to wake up.

It sounded almost like a banshee screaming at everyone in the morning or like an emergency horn blaring near where they slept.

Stephanie's hair on her arms prickled at the memories of that evil maid coming into the basement room, screeching at every single child to get dressed and go do the chores.

Usually, Stephanie herself ends up in tears after being screeched in the face, having her thin blankets swiped off the bed and grabbed by the arm, the nails digging into her arm.

Her ears hurt from the noise, and her arms are usually covered in scratches from her long nails as she drags each child out of bed.

Sometimes, it would leave behind some scars, too, without even bothering to mend them after hurting each child.

Shaking her head, Stephanie forced the memory out of her head, trying not to remember her 'home' again as she scratched at her arm with her short nails.