CHAPTER FOUR

Two Thousand Years Ago

Sardinia, Greece

Psyche

I have a harder time sleeping after the man leaves me. He was real, not a dream that I attempted to convince myself the day before. He still has not told me why he keeps coming to my room, nor does he tell me who he is. Although, who could blame him? For all I know he is a spy from another kingdom here to gather intel, capture more, or kill me. I did not know which one I prefer the most. It takes me longer to get dressed this morning. I am hardly done putting my hair together when there is a knock on the door.

"You may enter." I say, turning around.

The door swings open and my mother enters. She has a small smile on her face as she crosses the room towards me, motioning me to sit in my chair. We are silent for a few minutes as she plays with my hair, fixing it into intricate braids. I knew she was here for a pep talk. She wanted me to get married so badly. Both my sisters were married off already. I must have been a disappointment to her.

"Psyche." She begins. Her voice is calm and regal. My mother had helped ruled over the kingdom almost as long as my father. She knew how to handle difficult situations... Well other than me.

"Yes, Miteras?"

"We need to talk." She states. Not like this was an option aways. She finishes tying my hair back and spins me in my chair to face her. "You need to pick someone."

"I know, Miteras." I whisper. Although I wanted to explain myself to her, I couldn't. I did not want to give her silly excuses. The reason I had yet to marry was because I did see the ability to fall in love with any of those idiotic, heartless, self absorbed men. I couldn't tell her that though. She married my father when she was a year younger than me. They were not in love at first. Their marriage was arranged and I was blessed they were giving me the chance to choose my husband. I just didn't know if I was making the right choice.

"Psyche. I understand what you want. You do not need to explain it to me. You crave being loved in return." She whispers, looking at me sadly. Her hand rests on her cheek which sends a soothing sensation through me. I did love my mother, even if we did not see eye to eye with certain subjects. "But you need to take a leap of faith."

I shake my head. "Miteras. Every man I have spoken to so far has either made inappropriate comments towards me, thinks I am not intelligent enough to help them run a kingdom, or their conversation is boring."

She chuckles. "Oh Psyche. Men are interesting creatures. You know they are nervous to be in front of a beautiful and smart woman like you."

I roll my eyes. Yeah, mother's they are 'nervous'. I would say that they think just because I am beautiful that they would think I am not very smart. Easy to get with. I dislike those stereotypes.

My mother sighs, knowing what I was probably thinking. "Promise you will try today?"

"I always try, Miteras. It is them who don't." I kiss her forehead before quickly exiting my room. I had a long day ahead of me and I didn't need to be lectured anymore this morning.

 I had a long day ahead of me and I didn't need to be lectured anymore this morning