CHAPTER FIFTEEN

Two Thousand Years Ago

Sardina, Greece

Eros

The sound of my sandals continually pacing back and forth on the golden marble of Olympus repeatedly, my fingers twitching, tempted to tear my hair out from its roots. My eyes are constantly clocking Helios's descent, waiting for it to drop further on the horizon, so I can go to her.

Finally.

"Winds! Return!" I grate, continuing my constant pacing back and forth.

It takes only a moment for the winds to return to my side, all four of them manifesting their true forms, something they could only sustain for a prolonged period of time when on Olympus.

"We have just come from your lady wife, my lord," Zephyrus, god of the west wind announces, executing a short bow to me. He was always the most formal of the winds, and even though all four winds were older than me, none had the direct link to the throne I did.

"A beauty to say the least," Eurus, god of the east wind adds, earning a sharp look for me.

"She is curious about the man she is married to," Notus, god of the south wind adds, his long shaggy hair hanging in his pale eyes.

Of course she is curious, but she can never know. I should have thought this through, why didn't I think this through?

"Very curious," Boreas, god of the north wind, takes position around me.

I slash my hand with impatience, "I know she is!" I take a slow, calming breath, "How...how did she look?"

Boreas sighs softly, his dark beard flaring slightly, "She was weary from the night."

Notus continued for his brother, the winds sharing an almost hive mind, "Asleep on the cliff."

"I carried her to the Palace and we greeted her," Zephyrus adds.

"Her thoughts were on you," Notus interjects.

They all hum for a moment, and I barely hear Boreas whispers, "She seemed sad."

My entire attention hones in on the North wind, "Sad?"

Sad? I had made her...sad?

Notus clears his throat gently, "She seemed a little...broken."

Zephyrus snapped at his brother, "Which is not our place to comment on."

"Argh!" I snap, throwing my hands in the air, continuing my pacing, feeling their eyes on me as I slowly unravel.

Eurus shoots a strange look at his brothers, "She wishes to know about you, my lord, asked about what you were like."

That's good, right? She wants to know more?

"And your answers?" I ask absently, continuing my frantic pacing.

There's a complete moment of silence, and the nervous energy I was fighting all day heightened.

"Well? What did you tell her?!"

All the winds continue their silence, and horror ripples down my spine.

"We did not know how to describe you..." Boreas adds, his voice unusually soft.

"You said she cannot know who you are," Notus interjected.

"She cannot, Miteras...I don't know what she would do."

She could...she could kill her.