CHAPTER NINETEEN

Two Thousand Years Ago

Sardina, Greece

Eros

To say I've been counting down the minutes until I see Psyche again today, would be a lie. It would be more accurate to say I'm counting down the seconds. What can I say? I'm addicted to every part of her.

Pushing open the door of our bedroom, I lean on the doorframe, my eyes trailing over my wife, immediately coming alive for her, "Aren't you a sight?"

My mouth dries at her attire, the red silk making me hard to the point of pain. How did she know that red is my favorite color?

She turns away from me, laughing slightly. With her back to me, I take in her perfect body in a breath of red silk, "Your servants helped me picked this out."

I'm across the room in a minute, gripping her hips, growling into her ear, "Did they now?"

She spins to face me, "They did."

My hand wraps the red silk tie of her robe around it, stopping short of pulling it, "I don't like the idea of my wife being dressed by them...you are for me alone."

Her hands rest on my chest, "So, you get jealous?"

No, anything I've ever wanted became mine.

"Never before," I whisper, but with Psyche, I covet every moment with her.

She nods, pulling away from me, and I relax my hand, letting the red silk tie of her robe slipping away. She walks over to the bed, murmuring, "Mhm."

Following her, I was helpless not to, "Mhm? That's all you have to say?

She sits on the bed, and I stop to stand in front of her, making her looking up at me, "Yes."

My fingers brush her cheek, then drop to her neck, collaring her throat, growling, "My reckless wife."

Her pulse flutters against my hand, "Reckless?"

Pushing her back on the bed, yanking the tie of her robe, revealing her luscious body to me. "Pushing my jealousy, I've been called mercurial before."

The cruel son of Aphrodite. One of my less pleasant monikers.

Her breasts shake slightly as her breath comes quicker, "What do you mean, Husband?"

Pressing my knee on the bed, hovering over her, my mouth close to hers, "You know why I've never experienced jealousy?"

She licks her lips, her cheeks feverish with her own desire, "No, tell me."

Because I love you. And I'm waiting for you to ask for more than I can give.

"I've never had something I've worried about losing..."

Her eyes glow slightly in the night, reflecting the light of Selene, "Are you worried about losing me?"

Pressing my lips to hers softly, I whisper, "Only every minute I'm not with you."

One day, this won't be enough for you. You'll ask to leave, and...I won't be able to let you go.

Her arms wrap around my neck, keeping me close, "You have me now, my husband."

For how much longer?

My mouth drags from her lips to her ear, my voice dropping to a husky whisper, "Do I?"

"You do."