CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT

Two Thousand Years Ago

Olympus, Greece

Psyche

My second task appeared to be simple enough. Across the river, a flock of sheep stood grazing in a field. The golden sheep laid down in the middle. Its wool sparkling in the sunlight. There must be something I am missing. It shouldn't be this simple. I take careful steps towards the river when something emerges. Stepping back, I hold out the sheers, preparing myself for an attack.

In front of me, water lifted six feet high in the shape of a man. Water cascades down its body before returning back up to the top. My eyes widen, looking at the creature. Lowering the sheers, I watch as rivulets of water fall from his mouth.

"My lady." He bows.

"Who are you?" I ask.

The creature bows at the waist, water pouring from different parts of its body. "I am the god of the river and the shepherd of the flock. The Anemoi told me you might come."

As soon as he mentions the Anemoi, all the fear escapes me and I feel a small wave of comfort. They are still watching over me.

"They are very kind."

The river god glances over his shoulder at the sheep. "They will not let you approach until they go to the shade, then they will let you clip their fleece."

He gestures to a large tree near the flock. As time passes, the sun will be at the right angle to give the sheep shade. That would be my chance to shear them.

"The winds have offered to keep you company while you wait." His voice echoes.

I turn to look at him, smiling brightly. "Thank you very much."

The river god bows once more before leading me to the banks of the river. There is another tree, smaller than the other. The winds are there, their vortexes swirling quickly. The river gods feet touch the sand and the water disperses, revealing a handsome dark skinned man underneath. He walks over to the tree, leaning against it. I run over to the winds, wishing I could hug them.

"My lady," Zephyrus says.

Eurus spins around me tightly and I giggle.

"We thought you might have this as your next task." Boreas says.

"The goddess didn't suspect did she?" Notus asks.

"No, she did not!" I giggle. "I managed to lie."

Notus swirls around me. "She cannot suspect."

Boreas lifts me off my feet, carrying my under the tree. He sits me down, my back leaning against the tree. "You look tired, my lady."

"Have you eaten?" Eurus asks.

I shake my head. "I haven't had the chance. My focus has been getting to him."

Zephyrus vibrates "Rest my lady. We have something for you to eat. You'll need it if you are to continue against the Goddess."

"She cannot harm you if you fail." Boreas says.

"She took an oath." Notus continues.

"It is the only reason she could come herself to see you." Eurus chimes in.

"The King is very strict about appearances now." Boreas lowers beside me.

"Too many mortals dying." Eurus mumbles.

"And getting knocked up." Notus chuckles.

I giggle, looking at the winds. My eyes landing on the river god. He watches me closely with curious eyes. Tilting his head, he pushes himself up off the tree.