CHAPTER EIGHTEEN

Two Thousand Years Ago

Sardina, Greece

Psyche

I open my eyes as soon as he leaves. My heart sinks in my chest as soon I notice that he is really gone. Sinking in my chair, I watch as the winds move pots and pans around the kitchen. I pick up one of the olives on my plate, nibbling on it. I didn't feel hungry anymore. In all honesty, I just wanted to spend time with him.

"He's different." one of the winds whispers.

"It is not our place to comment." another speaks up.

"My Lady, is there something you would prefer for breakfast."

"Brother, I am cooking right now, do you doubt me?"

I look over at what the wind was cooking. It looked like he was making some porridge while another was cutting up some figs. Watching them cook was actually kind of nice. When I was younger, I would visit the kitchens all the time to watch them cook. But as I got older, I didn't have any time.

Smiling small, I allow my mind to wander. Thinking about him and... wait did they say he was different. Curious.

"What do you mean he is different?" I ask.

"He is... considerate." one of them whispers.

"Kind even." another says.

I think back to when we first met. He was harsh, cold, just plain mean. But as the days went on, I saw a side of him that I thought was just him... Was he really that different?

"What was he like before?" I ask.

"He was." one of them hums.

"The master is very close with his mother." another continues.

"She spoiled him."

"He is her first born."

"But with her..."

The four of them pause, humming together.

"Breakfast!" one of them yells.

I tilt my head. This conversation wasn't over yet boys. "With her?"

"He means you."

"Breakfast is ready, my lady." The one wind repeats.

I sigh, frustrated that I wasn't getting any real answers. "Thank you."

One of the winds places a bowl of porridge in front of me while another places a plate of figs beside it.

"Eat up, my lady, perhaps that was the explanation for your spell earlier."

"You had us very concerned."

"Very concerned" the third wind hums.

"We've never cared for a mortal before."

I poke the porridge with my spoon. "You've never cared for a mortal?"

The winds hum.

"We do not have much experience with mortals."

"Only... those like your lord."

I was getting close to something. I knew they weren't mortal. Obviously, they were wind like creatures. I couldn't put my finger onto what they were though. They were also slipping up. Giving me a few more clues of who he is and who they are. The thrill of figuring this out gives me an adrenaline rush. I take a bite of the porridge.
"What are you?" I ask them.