CHAPTER EIGHT

Two Thousand Years Ago

Sardina, Greece

Psyche

My smile is brighter than it has ever been as I walk down the hallways of the palace. Last night was... magical and I knew that a part of me was starting to fall for the mysterious man. I felt a pull towards him that I have felt towards no other and I wanted to get to know more of him. Hopefully the day would go by quickly so I could see him again.

When I arrive for breakfast, I see my sisters exchange looks. I would be confused too if I found one of them humming and playing with their hair. I take my seat beside Demetria, digging into my breakfast. They looked at each other once more. I disliked that.

"What?" I ask them, almost giggling.

"You're giggling." Agatha says.

"And smiling." Demetria adds.

"Am I not allowed to smile and giggle?" I ask them.

"You are allowed, Psyche. We just haven't seen it in awhile." Agatha smiles small at me.

"I guess things are changing..." I smile to myself. My lips swollen from his kiss. It was a little reminder to me that I would get to see him again. Ba-Dum. My heart flutters.

The day drags on with meetings. It must be because I was actually excited about something. I finish dinner, standing up to head back to my room when my father beckons me to join him in his study, alone. That doesn't sound good. I squeeze my eyes shut. Please let this news not ruin my day.

I enter his study, taking my usual seat in front of him. I take a moment to observe my father. He looks older than he used to. Must be the age and stress. There was hardly any dark hair left on his head. Instead it was replaced with gray giving him a wise appearance. He has wrinkles on his forehead, cheeks, and around his nose. Under his bright blue eyes were dark black circles. He wasn't sleeping again. I know it. He lets out a tired sigh.

"You're mother did not want me to tell you this but I think you have a right to know, Daughter." He begins. Already I can feel my stomach twist into knots.

"What is it, Pater?"

"I will be leaving tonight to Mount Parnassus to speak with the Oracle Delphi." He says.

"Why?"

"Psyche, we are concerned about you. The fact that none of the suitors has interested you leads us to think you will never marry. We want you to be happy."

"I am happy. I am perfectly fine living here with you both." And having that man spend nights with me. I feel my cheeks glow red as I think about the different ways he could... Psyche focus. You are with your father right now. Think about this when you are with him.

"I am going to speak to the Oracle. Ask her if she knows who you will marry."

I stand from my chair, rage boiling my blood. "WHAT? You can't do that?!"

My father stands up as well, slamming his hands on the desk. "I can and I will!"

My heart stops in my chest. He has never yelled at me before. At least not about this. I take a step away from his desk, shaking my head.

"I will be back in four days time." He says.

I turn away from my father, my lip trembling. I had nothing to say to him. No words can express how betrayed I felt at this very moment. I couldn't even look him in the eye. I wait for a few minutes. Hoping he is going to tell me this was all some big joke to get me to start taking things more seriously but no. He was really going to do this. I storm from his office, holding my hand up to the guards. I did not want them to follow me. I was unpredictable with the emotions I was experiencing.