♡ Chapter 46

Chapter 46

That night, I cried myself to sleep. And I stayed in my room the next morning. I couldn't stand to see the Court right now. My emotions were all messed up, and until I got myself together, I couldn't go out in public.

I sighed as I pushed myself up on my elbows. Lola had been very worried about me not wanting to get up and go out. But I had assured her that I was just a little sick, to explain my red blotched nose and puffy eyes. She accepted it, but I guess she didn't really believe me.

I glanced outside of my window, whose curtains Lola had opened up this morning. It would soon be lunch. I wrapped myself up in the covers, deep in thought. I had to get over my emotions. My brain made a quick summary of the events of the last few days.

Louis knew about my identity.

His solution was to marry me.

And that didn't bother him at all, since he loved me.

Lord Rutherford also knew that the princess Annabelle was currently at the palace, but he didn't know that it was me.

I had also been attacked a few days ago, by a man sent from a person called 'Master Rutherford'. Who was he? Since Lord Rutherford didn't know about my identity, it couldn't be him. And Louis would never attack me, since he wanted to marry me, and he loved me. That only left out one person. Jacob. But how did he know my identity as well? Either he heard me play the violin too, or Louis told him.

But it didn't matter how he knew it in the end. The facts were clear. Jacob had wanted to attack me, surely without Louis' and Lord Rutherford's knowledge. My most reasonable assumption was that he wanted to kidnap me and imprison me, to use me as ransom for my father when the time would come.

My thoughts drifted further, to the possibility of seeing my sister again if had I been caught by Jacob. But it was rather unlikely that he would put us exactly in the same place, if they still kept her prisoner.

I felt my shoulders slump in exhaustion. The recent events had really taken a toll on me.

A soft knock sounded on the door, followed by Elisa's voice, "Anna? May I come in?"

"Yes, of course," I answered through the door.

She turned the knob and entered my room, an extremely concerned expression clearly visible on her face. Her frown deepened when she took notice of my current state. After quickly shutting the door, she rushed towards me, jumping onto the bed to put an arm around my shoulders, "Oh Anna! What happened?", she exclaimed.

I just sighed in exhaustion, dropping my head on her shoulders, "Thanks for checking on me Elisa. I'm just a little sick and really tired."

She just stared at me. "Of course, I came to check on you. I was quite worried when I didn't see you this morning. But I know something must have happened. There's that dull look in your eyes," she pointed out.

I looked at her sadly. I couldn't tell her. But you told Gaby, my subconscious reminded me. After conflicting on the idea for a few moments, I let my subconscious win. I wasn't fair if she was the only one of the elder royal children who wasn't informed. And she was one of my best friends too. I knew she was trustworthy. She deserves to know, I decided. But I wasn't sure how I would break the news to her. After all, it was the first time that I would reveal my identity completely willingly.

I pulled myself into a sitting position opposite of Elisa on my bed. I wanted to see her face clearly when she heard about my secret.

Seeing this, she prepared herself to listen carefully to what I was about to tell her.