suffocation (pt. 3)

"Hi, mom. What's going on?"

    The phone call Yuue had picked up was from her mother. Yuue's mother was a hardworking woman who worked at a IT company. Because Yuue's father had passed away due to an accident when she was younger, her mother had to work extra hard for long hours in order to be able to provide for her family. The family didn't only consist of Yuue and her mother, she had 2 older sibling and 3 younger siblings. Mei (23), who was graduated frm college and was working as well; Kaede (20), who was in the middle of working a part time job while attending college; Fumito (14), who was in middle school; Dai (14), who was the twin of Fumito, and Ryuma (12), who was still in elementary school and was the youngest out of all. Most of the days, Yuue would be running around the house trying to make food, clean, doing the laundry, vaccuming the house, and the usual. But, because Yuue's mother did not have to head into work today, Yuue was able to hangout with her friends.
    "Hey, sweetie." Yuue could hear her mother's sweet tone on the other side of the phone, "Are you having fun?"
    "Yep, we decided to go to karaoke and the others are just starting to sing right now." Yuue informs her mother.
    "Good, good. I just wanted to check in with you. I haven't been able to talk with you recently so, just thought maybe I should call."
    "Yeah, we haven't talked much, have we?"
    "I don't think so. So, who's with you today?"
    "I'm with the usual, you know? Mizu, Haji, and Kao."
    "Oh, I think you told me that earlier today. It must've slipped my mind, silly me."
    "Don't worry, you're tired and you were sleeping this morning. Anyways, do you need me to grab anything on the way home?"
    "Nope, no need. I'm planning on cooking today so I'll get the ingredients later. The kids are at the pool in school and I'm just lying around, relaxing."
    "Good, good. You're finally getting some rest."
    "Yep. I got to catch up with some sleep and eat properly."
    "I was going to wake you up in the morning to tell you that I made breakfast but you were sleeping so happpily, I didn't want to wake you up."
    "You should have, I was kind of craving for your breakfast, Yuu."
    "Really? That kind of makes me happy. I mean, I could make it for you anytime so you should just ask me."
    "I never really told you this but, you're an amazing daughter."
    "Mom, why are you telling me this now?" Yuue giggled into the phone, feeling a little embarrassed.
    "I just felt like saying that, considering the fact that you've done so much for the rest of us. You've made Mei, Kaede and my lunches in the morning; went to every single soccer game Dai and Fumito had to support them; and so, I just felt like saying that." Yuue's mother explained.
    "Thank you."
    "No problem."
    There was a pause inbetween. Not the type of pause that was akward but the pause that was comforting.
    "Mom?" Yuue asked, breaking the silence.
    "Yes?" Yuue's mother answered quietly.
    "I love you."
    "I love you too, honey."
    "Thanks."
    "Yuu, what time are you coming back?"
    "Uhm, I don't know yet. I think I'll be back before 6." Yuue replied, checking her wristwatch.
    "Okay, come home quickly and safely, alright?" Yuue's mother requested. By the tone she spoke in, Yuue could feel her mother smile into the conversation.
    "Understood. Oh, before I forget, what's for dinnner?"
    "Nagashi sōmen, I wanted to make dinner fun and simple. I feel like I need to take time for you guys a little more. I mean, I've taken time for the older ones and the younger ones, helping with homework and going to their soccer matched but you, on the other hand, seemed to do everything by yourself, I want to be part of your life a little more. If it doesn't sound weird."
    "No, I hear you. I can't wait until I go home tonight!"
    "I'm glad to hear that. Well, I should let you get back to your friends now."
    "Okay, see you tonight?"
    "Yep, see you tonight, love you."
    "Okay, love you too."
    As the phone call ends, Yuue slowly walks back to the room where her friends are in, wondering about what she should talk about with her mom at dinner that day.
    "I'm back. So, what did I miss?" Yuue asks, entering the room.
    "Thank god, you're back Yuu!" Mizuka says, attacking her friend with massive hug, "The boys refused to sing so I kept on having to sing. I mean, who's idea was it to come to karaoke!?!?" Mizuka ranted, while hugging her friend.
    "Mizu, it's sort of hot, can you let go of me?" Yuue replies with a wry smile.
    "Oh sorry." Mizuka apologized, letting go of Yuue.
    "Also, guys you should have fun! Sing!" Yuue exclaimed, "Okay, Haji, let's do a duet. Mizu, you and Kao can do a duet. We can compare our scores at the end, who ever has the higher score wins."
    "I'm down for that!" Kaoki smirked, jumping up from his spot, "You guys are going down."
    "You wish, Kao." Yuue laughed, pushing Kaoki down to his seat, "Haji and I are superior, right?" Yuue asked, pulling Haji up from his seat.
    "Y, yeah!" Hajito repeated, sort of startled that he got pulled up out of no where.
    "Do we have prizes?" Kaoki asked, his eye beaming with excitement.
    "We'll think about it." Yuue replied, shrugging, "So, Haji. What song shall we duet?" Yuue asked, picking up the karaoke tablet, "Oh, what about this?" Yuue asked, showing the tablet to Hajito.
    "Oh! To make this challege a little more fun, we should duet the same song cause I think that may be more fair, no?" Mizuka asked the others. The others nodded in agrement.
    "I think that's an amazing idea, Mizu!" Kaoki exclaimed, nodding in agreement.
    "Agreed!" Yuue added on, giving Mizuka a thumbs up.
    "Okay, so is this song okay for everyone?" Hajito asked, passing the tablet around to everyone, one by one everyone agreed. Hajito pressed the start button to play the song, "You ready, Yuue?"
    "Yep!" Yuue answered as the openning of the song came on. Just as Yuue opened her mouth to sing, the bright lights of the karaoke room flickered and shut down, "Oh my god, what was that!" Yuue shrieked in surprise, as she held on to Hajito.
    Everything around them had gone pitch black, not a single thing was heard from other rooms. No loud music, no cheering, no laughter, no neon lights. Yuue sensed that had gone terribly wrong.