2: Hydra's Precious Little Devil

"So...do we have a deal?"

[2: Hydra's Precious Little Devil] (EDITED)

[New Jersey, 1942]

"You can't blame yourself for his death, Steve," Peggy said, as she sat down in a seat across from him. 

Steve took a swig of the whiskey in his glass, the liquid going straight down his throat; not affecting as he wanted it too. "Yes it is, Peg. I could've saved him." 

Peggy ran her hands up Steve's muscular arms, "Do you think Bucky blames you?"

Steve paused—Bucky would never have blamed him, in fact Bucky would be making fun of 'Golden Boy Rogers' for drinking at a bar.

"No. He wouldn't."

Peggy smiled, the corners of her red-lipped mouth turning up, "See, Bucky did what had to be done. It's the tragedies of war, Rogers."

Steve nodded, "I just miss him. Bucky, he...he would always stand up for me, especially when I was less...uh...super soldier-like." 

Steve grabbed Peggy's hand, squeezing it tightly. 

"I know Eliza will miss her godfather."

Steve's eyes lit up at this, "You knew?"

"Of course, Bucky was—is your best friend, who else would be her godfather?"

Steve glanced around the bar—his eyes stopping at Howard Stark flirting with a skimpy dress woman. Howards hands slowly moved up and down her thigh. Steve thought that was rather bold to do in public, but then again, Steve wasn't that bold. 

"Howard," He responded blankly. 

"Howard?" Peggy said. She then let out a boisterous laugh, "Howard? Howard, who has a new lady friend every hour?"

"Well...yeah."

Peggy kept laughing, "Let's just hope Elizabeth doesn't get your stupidity."

Steve smiled, "Yeah, hopefully." On the outside, he made sure to look joyful for Peggy. On the inside, however, he was remembering how Bucky said that exact thing to him. Oh, how he missed his childhood best friend.

 ✦ ✰ ✦ ✰ ✦ 

[Present Day, Sokovia]

Wanda, Pietro, and Freya wandered around the newly destroyed city. Searching and scanning for something to eat. It was no luck- most people were dead. The others were the same as them. 

Wanda cried, "Pietro, what are we supposed to do? Mother and Father are gone."

Pietro sighed, "I do not know, sister. We have to survive."