5: The Devil's First Kill

"I'm not safe here, or anywhere. Just kill me."

[5: The Devil's First Kill] (EDITED)

[Brooklyn, 1948]

The Winter Soldier and The Devil were seated side-by-side in a black van. Eliza had been doing her very best to keep her calm, but that facade was quickly crumbling. She was worried about having to kill someone, but this was her mission, and she had to complete her mission. 

"Is something wrong, Dev?" Winter asked, mindlessly rubbing circles onto his goddaughter's hand. 

"I'm just nervous, Winter. I have to complete this mission, I just...don't know if I can."

Winter pulled out an inky black knife from his pocket. He handed this to Eliza with a grin, "You can use this to protect yourself, and if anything goes wrong, burn the place down."

Eliza laughed and sent a small shove at Winter, "You're an awful influence, you know that right?"

"Yep, keeps me up at night."

"Shut up."

✦ ✰ ✦ ✰ ✦

Winter and Devil had exited the car and were now crouching on a rooftop. Winter's sniper was pointed directly at the target—his steady hand never wavering from nerves. 

Devil on the other hand, was freaking out. She was supposed to teleport herself inside the building to kill the most protected suspect. She began to pace back and forth.

"Stop pacing back and forth, you're messing up my focus," Winter sneered, keeping his eyes through the sniper lenses.

"I'm sorry, okay? I just am—"

"Nervous, I know."

Eliza sighed, "How were you on your first mission?"

Winter let out a small laugh, "Well...I wasn't a six year old, that's for sure."

Eliza laid against the concrete of the roof, adjusting her mask and glasses. 

"Look, you'll be fine. And, if you need anything—"

Eliza rolled her eyes, "Signal you, I know."

"Now go, before both of us are put back into cryo."

✦ ✰ ✦ ✰ ✦