11: Hidden Truths and Reunions

"Why did my life have to be so complicated? Why did I have to meet you?"

[11: Hidden Truths and Reunions] (EDITED)

[Siberia, 2010]

Eliza had been waking up the past years in a dizzy dream. Wake up, go on a mission, get brainwashed, go back to cryo. Winter was unable to visit the girl because he'd always stir up old memories, causing the organization to fry the girl's brain again. 

It was quite common for Eliza to experience memory loss—getting her brain shocked everyday led to things like this. Eliza didn't mind, but she also didn't realize it at all. 

'Kid? Kid? Are you asleep?' Dev asked, lurking around in the dark caverns of Eliza's mind.

Eliza jumped at the shock of hearing a voice in her head for the first time in a while. She sighed when after realizing it was just Dev, "Way to scare me, old pal."

'I think it's high time we went on a mission.'

Eliza rolled her eyes, feeling like she no longer had any control over her mind—to be truthful, she didn't.  

"No," She stated, plain and simple.

'No? No? Are you seriously disagreeing with me right now?

Eliza felt her body—using no will of her own—slam against a concrete wall. She winced as pain enveloped through her whole body, because of this hard smack. Her eyebrows creased together; staring at seemingly nothing, but frowning at the sight.

"Was there a reason you felt you needed to hurt me? Or, was it because I disobeyed your commands, because news flash, we both reside in this body. You're not special, Dev. One cannot live without the other."

Eliza heard a growling beginning at the base of her skull, 'You know not to disobey me, Elizabeth. I don't care what you say.'

Eliza's head felt like it was going to explode, "Elizabeth? You knew that was my name the entire time and you didn't feel the need to tell me. What does 'kid' or 'kiddo' give you more authority over me? Why did my life have to be so complicated? Why did I have to meet you?"

'You're being dramatic—'

"And you're being an awful partner. Maybe we should split up for a bit."

'Maybe we should.'

That was the beginning of the end for Elizabeth Carter.