13: Family? What's a Family?

"Do you consider yourself to be my family?"

"Oh, doll, of course. You're the only family I've got."

[13: Family? What's a Family?] (EDITED)

[New York, 2010]

A girl who had no idea who she was or where she came from walked the city streets of New York. The blaring of the horns enveloped her ears, as she wandered down the city. The ten year old hadn't remembered what her name was, why she was her, or basically any facts about her. 

"Hello?" She asked, as she felt a presence looming inside her mind. She shook it away. 

The girl's eyes were drawn to a sign reading 'New York Library'. She smiled, getting excited at the premise of reading. That was the girl's favourite pastime after she...she...she. The girl couldn't remember after what. 

When inside the library, the girl felt her body become engulfed with the warmth of the heating inside. It had been a fairly cold wintery day, meaning the girl's cheeks were stained red. 

Drawing her finger along the bookshelf, the girl found herself drawn to a Norse mythology book. She popped the book open, before sliding her back down against the shelf. Her hands immediately roamed to the page about Freya: The Goddess of Love and Fertility. 

"She's so pretty!" The ten year old laughed, coming back into her form as an adolescent.

"I know right," A boy said, staring directly at the girl. 

The girl's head turned to the young boy, "I really like reading, how about you?"

The boy smiled, "Yep. Oh, I'm Peter by the way. Peter Parker. What's your name?"

"Um...Freya. My name is Freya."

Freya could swear she saw the little boy's eyes lit up, "Just like the goddess! Do you want to go to my house? We could have a playdate?"

Freya nodded—excited to have a new friend, "Okay, lead the way, Pete."

✦ ✰ ✦ ✰ ✦ 

Peter was all smiley the entire walk back to his aunt and uncle's apartment. He was ecstatic to meet a new friend. The girl was quiet, but Peter hadn't minded. Peter was able to be talkative for both parties. 

"So...where are your parents?" Peter asked, being a curious young boy. 

Freya felt her blood run cold as a voice whispered, "Lie. He cannot know the truth."

"I...um...uh..." Freya stammered. 

The voice whispered again, "Let me do this. I can get you out of the question, Freya. Allow me back into your mind."