12: Insanity lapsed upon Insanity

"How can I stop this feeling?"

"You can't; it's impossible to stop now."

[Chapter 12: Insanity lapsed upon Insanity] (EDITED)

[Sokovia, 2010]

Elizabeth Rogers seemed like Peggy's bundle of joy. This was until Hydra got a hold of the girl, and brainwashed her into their perfect Devil. Eliza's entire life had been full of turmoil and trouble—and not just the parts she could remember. Her head would ache after each mission, to which she had to remind her brain that her body was no longer in Dev's control—although it was difficult because he was always with her. It had been...well Eliza didn't know how long it had been. A month? A year? The days blurred together into a murderous haze. 

"It's funny how bored you get," Eliza laughed, as she talked to the thin air beside her. Eliza had decided—well both of them had—that Hydra wasn't working for them. More accurately however, Hydra was manipulating the girl into something Dev didn't like. 

Dev felt the rumble of a laugh sound through his ghostly form beside the girl, "When you said we were going to escape, I thought you meant an elaborate Mission Impossible type heist."

Eliza tilted her head, "What made you say that?"

"When you woke me up saying 'We're about to escape the facility using an elaborate Mission Impossible type heist'. Does that ring any bells?"

"Yeah no, not really."

 ✦ ✰ ✦ ✰ ✦ 

The partners hadn't planned very far in advance—after Eliza said she had a heist, Dev agreed with no questions needed. In hindsight, he should've asked questions, a lot of questions. 

"Where are we going? Can you see in this snowstorm? I can't. Why did we decide to do this again? You know I think I see—"

"Oh my god! Shut up, Dev!" Eliza yelled, dripping her words in rage and fury. Dev held back a laugh, as he eyed through the snowy storm. 

"Do you know where we're going?"

Eliza halted her steps, letting her feet stop directly on top of a sheet of ice. She sighed; running a hand through her locks, picking out the knots in them. 

"No, I don't. Where are we going, Dev? Why are we going? This was a mistake. What are we going to do? What about Winter, and what—"

Dev slapped an invisible hand against Eliza's mouth, provoking Eliza's anger even further. "What! What is your problem now, Devil?"

Dev just let out a small whimper, trying his best to materialize as a shadow through the white flurry. "He's, he's..."

"He's what? You're not making any sense."