Chapter 9

Here's chapter nine, guys. Hehe!^_~

]|I{•------» CHAPTER NINE «------•}I|[

New Year's Day had passed, and it was 3 p.m. when Scarlett arrived at her apartment. She didn’t expect to be so tired because she was used to it, but this time was different. She was exhausted, and all she wanted was to sleep and set aside all of her worries.

Her eyelids began to droop, but she fought it off when she saw the worried and disappointed look on her publicist’s face.

Oh, her publicist was at her house.

Her name was Larra, a woman in her 40s who loved dogs very much.

"I'm sorry, I wasn't able to follow up afterward. I had something to do first," Scarlett excused herself.

She threw her sandals aside and stood by the kitchen counter. "Larra, have you eaten anything? Do you want—"

Larra stopped Scarlett before she could even reach for the fridge. "Are you really aware of your public background? Other agencies and interviews are asking if she really is yours," Larra said, scattering the pictures she was holding on the table.

These were pictures of Rhislett taken by the paparazzi.

That stopped Scarlett in her tracks. Her heart was beating fast, and her throat tightened.

"I can't say anything about your eldest. It's yours to decide, but I care for you, you know that. I hate seeing and hearing interviewers from those dumb and disrespectful people talk about you and this girl," Larra pointed to Rhislett.

Scarlett's face was emotionless.

She couldn’t respond, nor did she want to.

Her eyes hooked on the pictures on the kitchen table. She felt so bad and so dead. As if she couldn't hear the words her publicist was saying. She was numb.

"Are you sure you can do this?" Larra's voice was filled with concern.

Scarlett was still deep in thought.

"Scarlett?"

"You know I can cancel some of your interviews and promotions for the movie. Scar?"

Scarlett feigned a cheerful reply, "Yes? Uh—no. I'll take those interviews."

Larra furrowed her eyebrows, "Are you good? You know you can talk to me about it."

"Of course, yeah, good. I'm perfectly fine."

It was a lie, and Larra knew it too. But she chose to be blind and unconcerned since she didn't have the right to ask about Chris and Rhislett.

"Are you sure?"

Scarlett only smiled.

Scarlett sighed and sat on the corner of the bed. She had a lot of problems, and Chris was the biggest one. Her daughter, too. God, why is this happening to me now?

It took her a few minutes to decide whether she should call her best friend or not. But seeing the look on her daughter's face a few minutes ago, she decided to swallow her pride and tap into the contact of Christopher.