Chapter Five- Home

(Josie's POV)

My "Imagine Dragons" jam session was interrupted by a familiar ringtone. I looked at the display screen on my car, smiling at Hailey's name coming through.

Over the years we'd gotten into the habit of calling each other whenever we were driving. Living hours away from each other and having completely different jobs and responsibilities made it tough to connect. So, we both made a lot of effort to stay in touch.

I messaged her as soon as I started driving, asking if she would give me a call. I hadn't wanted her to be surprised or for her to give anything away when she saw me, Lee or Lucy. An unscheduled visit from all of us was unheard of. 

With the fact that the media announcement was coming, she needed to have a general idea of what was going on, that way she didn't blow anybody's cover. I knew that Charlie was currently talking to Lincoln and informing him that I was on my way. Hailey and my dad were the only ones in town that knew I was a part of this task force and so they were the only other two that needed a heads up.

"Are you alone right now?"

Once I knew that it was safe to share, I gave her the run down.

She stayed silent until I was finished, "Holy shit Josie! In Fenelon? Who...? You mean you're on your way home right now?"

I ignored the fact that she was so flustered, how could she not be? "Yup! I'm on my way to the station as we speak."

Charlie had let me know that all the women had been identified and Lincoln was waiting there to give an update. I was trying not to think too much about the fact that I was about to see Lincoln for the first time since Gabriel and Hailey's wedding.

That had been my last visit home. After, I had promised myself that I would do everything in my power to stay away and until now I had kept my promise.

It was meant to be a day where I celebrated and basked in the love of my beautiful best friend and the love of her life. However, I left town marred by another hurtful encounter with Lincoln.

I had been her Maid of Honour and since she was marrying Lincoln's brother Gabriel, Linc had been the best man. It had started good, way better than I had expected. I had dreaded going home, as per usual but at the rehearsal dinner, we had managed to talk civilly and even had a few laughs. It had given me a false sense of hope.

I should have known better.

Hailey interrupted my wayward thoughts, "Think you want to grab a drink at the Brewery tonight? Is that allowed?"

"Yeah, I need to be visible. I want people to know that I'm home. Just so you know the story is that I'm home for an extended leave because I'm recovering from being shot in the line of duty."

She gasped and I explained quickly that I wasn't really shot (not mentioning that Trigg had been), that I was okay. It was just a part of my reasoning for being home.

We hung up and the rest of the drive I worried about having the two people that I loved most being so close to one of the monsters that I hunted for a living. 

(Lincoln's POV)

I knew that we needed to get this in-person meeting out of the way for me to be fully prepared to work side by side with Josie. The nerves clawed at my insides and pounded in my temples. For someone who had destroyed me, I still felt the craziest connection to her.

I knew the moment she walked into the station. The energy in the place changed in a way that only Josie could do for me. Josie left an impression.

I could say it was a result of her looks because she was a stone-cold stunner, but it was a combination of all of it. She cared about people and it oozed out her pores. I gave myself a much-needed reminder that she had long ago stopped caring for me. A fact that still crushed my soul and left me defeated.