Chapter Twenty-One- Checking Boxes

(Josie's POV)

The last few days had left me reeling and this morning felt like the cherry on top. It was all too much. As a result the whole drive to the grocery store my stomach tossed and turned. I resorted to some positive affirmations. When in doubt- always pump your own tires.

You can keep a lid on your emotions.

This morning changes nothing. You will manage to keep Lincoln at a distance.

You will not let yourself devour him like the eye candy he is.

You're strong.

You're capable.

You can and will find this killer.

I pulled into the space next to Lincoln's truck. He was standing on the outside again waiting for me and silently held out a coffee as I shut my door and walked over to him.

His hair was rumpled from where he had been running his hand through it and his crisp white shirt added to his tan. How was it fair that he had gotten better looking in the years that had passed?

Good looking or not, I could see the stress in the hard lines of his jaw. Somehow it didn't make me feel any better that I wasn't the only one struggling here.

"Thank you for caffeinating me again. Next time it's on me."

He gave me a light smile, "My pleasure."

We walked towards the grocery store with the word pleasure lingering in the air. Without a doubt it was an innocent comment, on his part.

It was me that was struggling with this energy that always seemed to pulse between us and for whatever reason everything that transpired between us had never killed my attraction for him. I took another sip, told myself to reign it in and let the cold gust of air conditioning calm me as we walked through the door.

I noticed Harold standing with a curvy woman with salt and pepper hair. She turned as we approached, and I was surprised to see that it was Victoria Sanders.

She had obviously been crying and immediately pulled me into a hug. Crushing me into her giant boobs and squeezing tight. "It's been way too long since I've seen you."

"Agreed! I don't think we have seen each other since Hailey and Gabriel's wedding. You've had two more kids since then right?"

She laughed. "Three actually. We had twins on our third go so now we have four. She pointed to her hair. The doctor just had to say twins and my hair started to go grey."

I couldn't control my grin. I had always liked Victoria.

Harold cleared his throat. "Do you guys want to come back to our offices?" I focused on him for the first time since walking in. He looked pale and exhausted. I reflected on the fact that the whole town of Fenelon probably lost sleep last night.

This wasn't just personal for me and Lincoln. Someone was hunting women on Fenelon soil.

We followed him through the back loading area and up some stairs to a set of offices. Harold gave an embarrassed grin as he pointed, "Vicky and I decided that we would meet in her office because mine is not as neat."

My eyes trailed and widened at the space he was gesturing to. Boxes upon boxes were out and his desk couldn't be seen under the mounds of paperwork.

He shrugged, "My wife Cheryl was always the organized one. When she left it all went to hell. I don't know how I would survive without Victoria. I've been trying to organize because I'm considering selling and she's always so much help with it all."