Chapter 39

Joelle's POV                      published: 03/07/2021

                           Mateo, Aaron, and I made our way to the entrance of this beautiful home. Grayson must be very successful to own such an amazing house like this. 'I wonder what he does for work.' I think to myself.

Mateo rings the doorbell and soon enough an elderly man dressed as a butler answers the door. He greets us and lead us into the biggest living room I have ever seen in my entire life. "Mr.Madden should be down any minute now." He informs us and we thank him.

I was talking with Aaron about what he thinks my brother will be like when I heard a heavy pair of footsteps making their way towards us.

And in he walked in. I instantly grew nervous at the sight of him. I knew what he looked like, it's just so much weirder in person.

He walks over to Mateo and shakes his hand. "I'm so sorry for the long wait, I had an important work call that I had to take." He apologizes and Mateo says it's fine.

We all take a seat and he looks into my eyes and I into his.

"Mom has told me so much about you" he says and stands up and walks over to me hugging me. "All good things I hope." I joke and we all laugh.

We all adjust our seats. Grayson and I on one couch, Mateo and Aaron in the other.

He looks at me and smiles. "We should introduce ourselves properly right?" He asks and I giggle. "I am Grayson Noah Madden, I'm 23 years old. Um... I met Mateo a few months ago." He says and I smile ready to introduce myself. "I'm Joelle Alice Madden and I'm only 19 years older, Mateo is my boyfriend and Aaron is my best friend." I tell him.

"Oh? Mateo is your boyfriend?" He says in a word tone I don't recognize. He looks over to Mateo and I see Mateo shift in his seat. "Are you taking care of my little sister?" Grayson asks and my heart flutters. I've never had a brother before especially a protective one. "He is." I answer for Mateo and they all turn to me.

"Good." Is all he responds and I smile.

"Mateo, maybe we should give them some privacy to catch up." Aaron suggests and Mateo agrees. They leave to I don't even know where. Leaving me and Grayson alone.

"I've never known what it's like to have an older brother, or a brother at all... so I'm sorry if I'm bad at this." I say and he chuckles. "No it's fine, I'm the same actually. I've never had any sibling. Mom only came to see me a couple months a year.. and now I know why." He says and I gasp.

"Wait do you..." I trail off an he nods. "Yes, Mateo told me everything." I sulk and then speak. "So you know who our real dad is and how he passed? And how our other brother died?" I asked and he slowly nodded his head.

I look away in embarrassment. His first impression of me was as a murderer. Great.

"Hey, I don't judge you or your life at all. If I was in your position... I would have done the exact same thing." He comforts me and I smile.

We talk a little more before our moment is ruined.

"J-Joelle?" I hear my moms voice choke. I look at her and smile.

I know I should be angry with her but I really did miss her. She never treated me half as bad as my dad did in that house. She was hardly there, but I counted the times she was.

"Hi mom." I said and she ran to me hugging me. "I thought you might of died judging with who you were with baby!" She shouted and I pulled away. "Mateo and I are together mom." I tell her and she gasps. "It's okay, he makes me happy, and I feel safe around him." I tell her and she smiles.