Chapter 60

•Erin's POV•

I didn't want to be around anyone. Everyone had approached me with remorse and concern. It was like I was an injured baby. I didn't want their sympathy; I wanted my Bayne back.

The night felt like an eternity. The moon was bright like the sun. I went on my own. Romulus and my father wanted to follow me, but I needed to wallow in my thoughts.

Bayne tried to kill me. He tried to kill Adolpha. I could never trust him. My father had been right about him. I would have never thought he would have turned so evil and corrupt. I wondered if he had any other planned kills. My father? Nadine? Romulus? I was glad it wasn't any of them he attacked. Maybe it was best to rid the world of him tomorrow, I thought.

I felt guilty thinking that. It was Bayne. He helped people. He didn't deserve to die.

He killed Adolpha and tried to kill me. He had to be punished.

My head threw awful thoughts back and fourth all night. It was mental torture.

I awoke with the sun and went back to the lodge. The C.C.C. had not arrived yet. I showered and changed. Nadine pestered me outside the bathroom door as I scrubbed the forest muck out of my hair. The hot steam filled the room.

"Are you sure you're alright?" She shouted from the outside of the door.

"Please. Just leave me." I shouted.

"Erin, you're hurting." She said. She turned the door open and entered the bathroom. She covered her eyes with her hands and felt around the room.

"Nadine!" I shouted, covering myself with my hands.

"I know! I'm not looking, don't worry." She felt for the counter and leaned up against it, her eyes still blocked.

"You can't tell me your fine. The C.C.C. will be here any minute."

"Fine. I'm not fine. Is that what you want to hear?" I said.

"I want to help you."

"You can't. He tried to kill me. He killed Adolpha. It feels like I had just got him back. Now I'm losing him again."

Water ran down my face. I told myself it was the shower water, but I knew it was tears.

"I'm sorry, Erin. I can't imagine the pain you are going through. Do you really want to be left alone today?" She asked.

I sighed and attempted to suck up any tears that fell out.

"No. I don't. I can't watch him die."

"We don't have to. We can stay inside if you want. We can go somewhere else."

I twisted the nozzles and turned the shower off after my final rinse. The steam rolled out.

"Can you hand me my towel?" I asked her. She felt around the counter and handed me my black towel. I dried off and tied it around my waste.

I stepped out of the shower, a cool breeze immediately hit my skin.

"You can uncover your eyes." I told her.