36 Getaway Car

IT'S 5 A.M. AND I'M RIDING in a getaway car. This city screams his name and I don't want to keep secrets just to keep him. For a short time, I let myself believe a lie and let myself fall because the truth hurts.

The phone calls every five minutes started an hour ago. I set my phone on vibrate, pretending to miss the call instead of ignoring it. Since Sebastian's first call an hour ago, my tears haven't stopped streaming down my face. I'm not sobbing, weeping or having a breakdown. I'm just numb.

I've been thinking a lot about the night Sebastian appeared on my doorstep. I think the moment I opened the door was the moment when it all started. Something felt different between us but I wasn't ready to admit it. But I never would have guessed how bittersweet our relationship would taste.

"Are you alright madam?" I can already imagine the empathetic expression on the taxi driver's face. I can't see him clearly under the dim light but I notice streaks of his white hair.

"No, I'm not alright," I admit. Something about this stranger is so comforting like he's an uncle that you can just talk to about everything.

"You break up with your boyfriend?"

"I wish he was my boyfriend!" I laugh. "I have feelings for my best friend but he's in love with someone else. Someone who can treat him better."

The driver drums his fingers on the steering wheel and finally says, "Is he who keeps calling you?"

"Yeah. How did he even notice I left? He should be sleeping." I mumble. Why did he wake up in the middle of the night? Is it his nightmares?

"You didn't tell him you were leaving?" he sounds shocked which makes me smile.

"No I didn't and I don't even know where I'm going to go. I just want to get on a flight and leave this place. I want to escape. I want to clear my head."

"You should at least tell him you're leaving. He must be worried." he alludes. And a sick part of me actually wants Sebastian to worry, I want him to be afraid of losing me.

The phone rings again and this time it's Kimberly who should still be on her honeymoon. I pick up the phone immediately, "Kimberly you okay?"

"Bella! Answer your stupid phone!" Kimberly screams, I pull the phone away from my ear.

"I just did! Is everything okay?" I scream back.

"Not anymore! Why the fuck is Sebastian blowing up my phone when I'm trying to sunbathe on my honeymoon?" she groans.

I can feel the heat rising my cheeks, "Sebastian called you?"

"Yes like a million fucking times! So answer your damn phone! Goodbye!" She ends the call before I could respond.

Two seconds later my phone rings again and it's Emma. I answer the call already knowing what this is about. "What the hell is going on Bella?" she croaks.

"I'm leaving for a while, I just need some time. I can't pretend that I don't have feelings for Sebastian. I can't watch him date another girl. I just can't okay?" My voice cracks in the end and I start crying again.

"Oh sweetie please don't cry." Emma's voice is softer now. "Sebastian is really worried about you and he's literally calling everyone to see where you went."

I assumed he would be confused why I left without a word but I didn't know he'd be this worried. "I just couldn't say goodbye. You know it's hard for me."

"Bella you have to call him. You have to at least tell him you're okay." she pleads and I can feel her desperation. "I've never seen Sebastian this way. He's gone fucking nuts! Just please call him."

"Okay, I'll call him."

I finger the buttons, trying to imagine what I could possibly say to him. I hold the phone to my ear and take a deep breath.

"Bel?" Sebastian answers immediately, his voice thick with worry.

"Yeah."

The line goes quiet for several moments before he finally speaks. "What the fuck happened to you last night? I woke up this morning, and you were gone and you... you just left and didn't say goodbye? Why?"

"I'm sorry. I-"

"You're sorry? I've been going crazy! You don't answer your phone, you sneak out and-wh-why? I thought we were doing just fine?"

"We are doing fine Sebastian." I pause. "I just have a business trip that I forgot to tell you about. You were sleeping so well so I didn't want to wake you."

"Where are you going? I need to see you," his voice desperate.

I sigh. "Don't be silly, I go on business trips all the time. I think this is just what I need. A breath of fresh air."

"Is this about the fight? Did Clara give you a hard time? I can take care of it."

"No everything is fine, the fight wasn't a big deal."

"You left your necklace," his voice breaking.

I close my eyes tight. "I don't want to lose it on the trip so I took it off. We're still friends Sebastian. Nothing between us is going to change."

"When you come back, I'm going to put that necklace back around your neck and pin you. Like the 1950s Bel," he barks, anger bleeding through his voice.

I force a laugh. "I'll see you when I get back okay? I just need time to sort some stuff out. That's all."

"Okay," he says. "I can do that."