Danger In The Air

A few days Sherlock acted like a weirdo: he sorted cups by their volume or folded his clothes in a new style. Just to distract himself.
<<It's alright if you won't tell me that you have problems or a new case or something.>>, John one day told Sherlock while they were walking in the evening, <<It's really ok. I got used to it.>>
<<So what do you want to know then?>>, Sherlock asked, acting cold to his friend.
<<Well... How to say?>>, the former soldier mumbled, <<You're avoiding me. Again.>>
<<No, John. I'm just busy.>>, the detective lied.
<<With what? Folding your clothes the 100th time?>>, the doctor asked, unfortunately a bit angry.
<<Do you remember what day is it today?>>, he asked.
<<Nope.>>, Sherlock answered carelessly about a real answer.
<<Oh, god, Sherlock, of course you know!>>, John shouted, <<I've told you. You know? Rosie's theatre performance.>>
<<Oh, is it today?>>, Sherlock asked, being surprised, taking a look at the calendar on his phone.
<<Did you start to take stuff again?>>, John asked.
<<What?>>, the detective replied.
<<Drugs, Sherlock.>>, his mate answered, <<Did you start to take drugs again?>>
<<Of course not! John.>>, he said shocked.
<<But you act like!>>, John shouted angry, <<Yourself going out at night, coming back in the morning, not talking to me.>>
<<I'm sorry, John, I can't tell you.>>, Sherlock said honesty.
<<Did you meet someone new?>>, John asked, seeming to be hurted by this question.
<<No.>>, he answered seriously.
<<What is it then?>>, the final question came up.
… 
<<You always pretended to be the fastest.>>, he heard his brother say, <<Once in your life you may have to be slower than your enemy.>>
He remembered a situation when they were children and Mycroft told him that. He couldn't get the meaning of it but now he did.
All what his brother tried to say was that Sherlock had to take one step back to be one step in front of his opponent.
...
Then he took a real step back.
<<Joh->>
Suddenly there was a shot.
<<-n>>, Sherlock got shocked.
John was turning himself to see where the bullet hit the wall or something.
<<John?>>, Sherlock whispered holding his hands on his belly.
<<Oh, Sherlock.>>, the doctor shouted and rushed to his friend to help him.
Sherlock sat himself to the ground leaning on the wall.
<<It's not the fall that kills you, Sherlock. Of all people, you should know that, it's not the fall.>>, he remembered Moriarty's words, <<It's never the fall, it's the landing.>>
And he finally made a big decision.
<<John…>>, Sherlock started to whisper. <<Whenever you'll think I am a dishonest, cocky, rude or a ridiculous man…>> he continued moaning because of the pain, <<All in all just a big liar…>>
His eyes got full of tears.
<<Or that it is all... my fault.>>, he resumed breathing heavily.
<<Then you're right. It is.>>, he revealed his belief, <<I'm sorry.>> 
Sherlock knew that the shot was the beginning of publishing all of his lies and his guilt about Mary's death but especially his biggest fears to John. It was the final warning to him to leave his home and friends to save them from all of his lies and risks. 
As he woke up in the hospital after a long surgery and sleep he told the doctors that he didn't want any visits. He felt too guilty and ashamed to even look in his friend's eyes since he decided to follow Moran's threat. 
The doctor told John more or less about the detective's health as far as he was allowed to and he calmed his colleague down, saying that his friend had more luck than anything else as the bullet in his body went deep and his health condition was not that good.
Some weeks passed. 
John was missing his friend a lot, but as the doctor prohibited visiting him, everything John could do was waiting. Once he finally managed by a simple trick to get through the security and as he entered Sherlock's room the detective wasn't there anymore.
John had a terrible feeling that was approved in some weeks....