It Is What It Is

Suddenly Shelrock heard the lock opening from the door. Nothing else happened and he went forward to open the door slowly.
John sat on his bed, stared at the wall again, some tears flowed down his cheeks.
Sherlock was shocked about what he has done to him and began to tremble. He was afraid.
<<John...>>, Sherlock whispered close to tears.
<<You were right.>>, John said while he was looking at the wall, <<As you said, it is what it is. The problems of her past are her business.>>
<<I did love her the way she was. That's why I married her. Because of her personality. But now I don't know what it was. I don't know who she was-->>
<<She was a good person, brilliant wife and great mother.>>, Sherlock interrupted him with wisely chosen words.
John continued without including Sherlock's words:<<I thought about her. Us. A long, long time.>>
<<Yeah, I know.>>, Sherlock replied.
<<Well, you know I've married Mary. And I did loved her, I mean we have a daughter together. Huh?>>, John said.
Sherlock looked at John very confused.
<<Yes?>>, he asked.
<<Well, I've been thinking for a long time about why I married her. And I came to the point that I married her because I loved her. But as far as I can remember I never really needed her.>>, John continued.
Sherlock sat down next to him.
<<Well, John. I'm not the person who's good at something like that, but it's all fine. I know you loved her and I know she will always be a part of you. And Rosie. And I know it hurts you to see that she wasn't the one you thought she was. But we'll get through this. Together. I've made a vow, do you remember?>>, Sherlock asked.
<<You're perfect. I mean you're the best person I could get.>>, John said and smiled because he hadn't expected something like that.
<<John, it's turning emotionally again.>>, Sherlock said.
<<I know, I know.>>, he answered and hugged him.
<<Well, ehm...>>, the Consulting Detective mumbled and put his arm around him.
<<What I actually wanted to say is: Sherlock, I-->>
<<You miss her. I know. And this is totally fine, by the way.>>, Sherlock interrupted him.
<<Well, no. Sherlock, no.>>, John laughed again because it was cute for him that Sherlock tried to protect Mary.
<<Why- What's so funny?>>, Sherlock asked confused.
<<You.>>, John answered, <<I mean you would know exactly what I mean if you hadn't interrupted me every time I tried to say that.>>
<<Well, continue.>>, Sherlock said.
<<As I thought about her. Us. I mean I thought about us more than about her. Yes, you and me. And the reason that I'm saying that I never needed her is because I always needed you. Just you. Your support, your personality and especially you keep me alive.>>, John explained, <<I don't expect that you feel the same or anything but I need you. It is what it is.>>
Sherlock stared at John like he once stared at him as he said he was is best friend.
<<Sherlock?>>, John asked.
<<Well, John. I'm confused as you can see. I haven't expected that. I-, I-. Did you say you always needed me, not Mary?>>, Sherlock asked confused.
Before John could answer his question they heard Rosie crying and instantly went in Sherlock's room.
<<What's happened?>>, both asked at the same time.
Sherlock lifted her up to comfort her and stroked her head.
<<We're here. Everything is fine.>>, he whispered while Rosie continued crying, <<Look Daddy's here too.>>
Rosie reached out for John and he hugged them both.
<<We're here. Everything is fine.>>, John repeated.
John seemed a little more cheerful than hours before and enjoyed the hug.
Eventually, Rosie asked if they could spend the night all together cuddling because she had fears of her nightmare.