Chapter 2

Chris walked into Starbucks the next day to find Eve already there. She was sipping her coffee and looking at her phone. Her hair was put into a bun in the middle of the back of her head, a few loose strands hanging down. She wore her glasses today, and a blue, knee-length dress with small white polka-dots on them. Her tan pea coat hung over the chair she was sitting on. She wore some bracelets and a couple of rings and earrings and the silver cross necklace Chris often saw her wearing...She had her tan messenger bag with her and black leather, knee-high heeled boots. As usual, she wore no makeup or nail polish.

Eve knew Chris was here. He walked passed her, pretending he didn't notice her.

"You know, not all of our meetings have to be a super secret." Eve says.

Chris takes a few steps back.

"An innocent coffee at an innocent Starbucks won't hurt anyone." Eve adds.

Chris shrugs and sits down, "You're the boss." He says, "So how'd you get away from your dad this time?"

"Well, I get away from him a lot, actually. I told him my classes start at noon, when they actually don't start until one on most days." Eve starts, "Then I told him they're every weekday, when I actually have Wednesdays off. Once in a while if I need any extra space, I'll tell him I'm meeting with an art client or something."

"Sneaky."

"Yup. Think I've reached Bond Status?"

Chris laughs, "I suppose." He says, "I'm just surprised is all. Isn't your dad super protective of you?"

Eve shrugs, "It's my own fault he's protective. I'm the reason my mom is dead, so my dad has to protect me from every little innocent thing out there; because giving birth, something that happens every day in the world, killed my mom. So who's to say a simple everyday thing won't hurt me?"

Chris grows serious, "Eve...your dad doesn't seriously have you believing you're the reason your mom died, does he?"

Eve just shrugs and looks down at her lap.

Chris takes Eve's hand, "Eve, look at me."

Eve looks up into Chris' dark brown eyes.

"It is not your fault your mom died. It's no one's fault. And I'm sure if she could, your mom would tell you the exact same thing."

Eve just nods.

He could feel people watching them, so Chris releases her hand, "You wanna get out of here?"

Eve gives a small smile, "Yeah."

Chris smiles in return. They stand and walk out of the Starbucks.

It was nearing the end of September, so the weather was just perfect. It was about sixty degrees, and the leaves were changing color more and more. Chris and Eve continued to walk, both with pumpkin spice lattes in hand.

"I think September and October are my favorite months." Eve comments, "Along with April and May. Those are like, the only months out of the year that aren't either crazy hot or freezing cold. And my birthday is May 23rd."

"I like October for the weather and for Halloween. And my birthday's on the 17th, but that just seems to get more and more disappointing every year." Chris says with a laugh.

"Ah, yes, you'll be 29. And then -"

"My second 29th birthday."

"That wasn't what I was gonna say, but...what?"

"I refuse to turn 30."

"I don't think you can do that."

"Well I'm gonna."