Chapter 9 (Trigger Warning)

A/N: Trigger Warning for abuse.

Today was Chris' last day home before he had to leave for tour, and he and Eve had agreed to spend the day together. Eve got her coffee, as she usually did, then headed to hers and Chris' secret hiding place. It was a chilly January day, and the new year was off to a good year so far.

When Eve approached the old house nearing hers and Chris' hiding place, she found Chris sitting on the the steps. He smiled when he saw her. God, she was going to miss that smile. She didn't know how she was going to survive three months without him.

Chris stands, "Hey, beautiful." He greets before kissing her.

Eve smiles, "Hi." She says, "Are you ready for your big tour?"

"As ready as I'll ever be."

"You'll do great."

Chris smiles, "I want to see you as soon as I get home."

"It's a deal." Eve says before standing on her toes and kissing him again.

Chris' smile grows and he looks Eve up and down, "My God; how are you not freezing?"

Eve was in a navy blue knee length dress with long gray sleeves, a gray collar, and a gray belt across it. Her curly hair was piled into a bun, her glasses balanced on her freckled face that lacked any makeup; she had on a few bracelets and her mother's silver cross necklace, earrings, and black ankle-high boots. And, as usual, all of her usual art supplies were stuffed into her messenger bag which was slung over her shoulder.

Eve laughs, "I was in such a hurry to come and see you, I just threw on the first thing I could find."

Chris chuckles, "You are something else, Eve Lawrence." He says before taking off his leather jacket and putting it around her.

Eve smiles and looks up at him, "Thank you."

Chris grins, then takes Eve's hand, "Care to take a joy ride with me, pretty lady?"

"My pleasure."

x

Chris and Eve sat in the back seat of the car. The roof was up since it was cold outside, and music was faintly playing thorugh the radio. Eve lay her head on Chris' shoulder.

"I'm gonna miss this." Eve admits, "I'm gonna miss you."

Chris kisses the top of Eve's head, "I'm gonna miss you too, baby. We'll get together as soon as I get back. And maybe the time apart will ease your dad's suspiscions of us."

Eve sighs, "Yeah, you're right." She says, "I wish things between us could just be...easier, you know? I wish we could hold hands and hug and kiss or at least be seen in public without my dad going bolistic."

"And we will, Eve; someday."

"Well 'someday' cannot come soon enough."

"Nothing good ever comes easy; believe me, I know...But you're worth all the hard parts." Chris says, taking Eve's hand.

Eve smiles and squeezes Chris' hand, "You are too." She says, softly.

The music continues to play.

Remember when I took you up

To the top of the hill?

We had our knives drawn

They were as sharp as we were in love

Eve's smile grows, "I love this song." She says, "Every time I hear it, I think of that night we came up here and you danced with me."

Chris smiles as he remembers, "You know...that night was when I really began to realize that I had feelings for you. I mean, I liked you before that, but that night was when I really...started to fall for you..."