Chapter Three

Thursday, December 27th

Jessica entered the bookshop and greeted the old lady behind the counter. She continued on to the crime fiction section and searched the books for a title she hasn't read yet. She looked up for a moment and froze up when she saw a familiar face.

"Ren?" She thought out loud. He looked up and smiled at her.

"Jessica. Nice to see you here." He said and closed the book he was skimming through. "How was your Christmas?"

"Oh. Uhm. It was fun. We all cooked dinner together and watched some old Christmas movies with some hot chocolate." Ren raised an eyebrow at her.

"No gifts?" He asked.

"My sister made some drawings for us. We put them on our walls in our rooms."

"So, no?"

"We'd rather spent that money on things for school or groceries."

"Damn. You really are the scholarship girl." He chuckled.

"What do you mean?"

"Well, rumours are that you don't have any money."

"It's not like we have nothing, but we just get by on a lot less. Lower class, is what it's called, I think." Jessica looked away awkwardly.

"Hmm. Well, I suppose I should be glad you proved me wrong. Always thought that type of folks barely showered."

"That's kind of mean." Jessica showed discomfort.

"Sorry. I don't intend to be mean. I'll try to watch it." He smiled gently at her.

"How was your Christmas?"

"It was good. My father held his annual Christmas business party and I got a few things."

"Like what?"

"This watch, for example." Ren extended his arm to reveal a pure golden watch. "And some clothes. I can show you, but I'd prefer to do it somewhere more quiet and private."

"H-How about my place?" Jessica said before thinking. She kicked herself for stuttering. Ren's ears perked up.

"Won't your parents mind?"

"My sister took her to a spa retreat and Jamie is at a sleepover."

"And your father?"

"What about him?" Ren frowned a bit at her hostility. "He's not part of my life."

"That's fine. You don't have to tell me." Ren walked past her with the two history books he was holding and went to the register. Jessica followed behind and watched him pay. The old lady wriggled her eyebrows at her when Ren turned around. Jessica almost squeaked when Ren grabbed her hand and took her to his car after he received the receipt. Jessica nearly got a heart attack when he leaned over and repeated the action at the Christmas gala and fastened her seatbelt for her. He smirked as she blushed and drove off to her house.

"You want something to drink?" Jessica asked as he led Ren to the living room.

"Uhm, water is fine." He trailed off as he looked around. He was shocked by how small it is.

"Minhyun mentioned you lived in a rather small house, but damn."

"Not everyone can live in a mansion, right?" She felt awkward after his comment. Self-conscious. She handed him the glass as he made some comments about their couch. "Want to go upstairs?"

"Sure." He smiled deviously. His mind went somewhere else, of course.

"This is mine. Alice has the other one and my mom and Jamie are downstairs." Ren turned to look at her after closing the door. "W-Well, not actually here, but y-you know."