Chapter Seventeen

"This relationship is not just the first for me. It's the first for him too. He's been with so many other girls, yet I'm the only one he showed genuine feelings for. He did everything he possibly could to show me he cares. Yes, he got with me for the wrong reasons, but I don't see how that somehow means I can't be with him now."

"If I may quote Alice, he only chased you, because he is a spoiled little boy that doesn't like to not get what he wants."

"He's willing to hold off on sex for me. I don't understand how that doesn't mean anything to either of you?" Her mother sighed.

"I just don't want history to repeat itself. I allowed myself to be manipulated by two men in my life who claimed they loved me. You, Alice and Jamie are everything to me. But, you and Alice know that I would've rather had all this in my late twenties, not my late teens." Jessica stayed quiet. "Jessica, I'm just saying you should think long and hard before giving everything of yourself to him. Not just sex. I can see how being with him changed you. And, it's a good change, sure. But, as mushy as it sounds, you need to love yourself more than any guy or even girl can."

"I know, mom. And, trust me, even if I'd be fine with not using protection once, Ren would never go for that. He's way too vigilant about possible illnesses or accidental pregnancies."

"Well, given he slept with so many girls, it makes sense he would try to protect himself and his family's money."

"You're missing the point."

"Sorry. But, you get mine, right? Just make absolutely sure that he can never reach that level of self-love, no matter how well in bed." Her mother got up and left her room. Jessica heaved a big sigh before grabbing some more underwear and stuffing it into her bag. When she finally came back down, Alice held a sleepy Jamie, who insisted staying up to say goodbye. Jessica kissed her head and received a tired little wave of her hand before heading out. She quickly found the right car and smiled as she got in. She joined Ren in the backseat with her bag. Ren's parents spent the ride back gushing over how lovely her mother is. She felt shy because of it. Ren occasionally teased her about it. After arriving at their home, Ren grabbed Jessica's bag and they headed inside.

"Would the two of you like to join us for a cup of coffee?" Ren's mother asked.

"No." Ren answered a little too quickly. "Jessica and I, uhm, we just want to turn in. Have a relaxing talk before bed."

"Just use a condom, son." His father muttered.

"Dad! Jesus." Jessica giggled when she saw him blush. Ren grabbed her hand and dragged her to his room.

"Good God, kill me." Ren sighed as he fell backwards on the bed.

"It wasn't so bad. Your parents like my mom and she actually seems to like them." Ren groaned and sat up to take his shoes off.

"Yeah, except that your mom pulled me aside while my parents got the car and told me the only way she'd truly be okay with us dating, my parents should know about the bet too."

"Seriously?" Jessica sat down next to him as he laid back again.

"I'm about to lose my mind. This is way too much crap happening a week before our finals." Ren groaned.

"I'm sorry."

"It's not your fault. It's probably karma for everything bad I did this year." He sighed. "Let's just go to bed. I need to contemplate all the possible responses my parents will have to this."

"You need a break."

"Like I can get a break. Even if I wanted to, there's nothing that will stop me from imagining all the ways my parents will disown and kill me." Jessica laid down too and leaned her body into his.