Chapter Sixteen

Friday, May 24th

"Are you sure surprising Jessica at her locker after class is a good idea? She's spent all her after school time this week on taking care of you at your place." Minhyun asked as Ren changed his books after his last class.

"He's right. Jess might actually try to knock you out so you'll get back in bed." Jonghyun added.

"Jess knows there's only one thing that's going to get me right back into bed right now." Ren replied.

"Okay. His fever's gone. He's ready to have sex again." Minhyun and Jonghyun rolled their eyes at him.

"What's in the bag?" Jonghyun nudged his head towards the small, black paper bag Ren pulled out of his locker.

"A thank you for Jess. She deserves it after everything."

"You mean the bet, keeping your relationship a secret and her taking care of you for the past few days?" Minhyun asked with a grin.

"Yes." Ren glared at him.

"Have fun." Jonghyun said as Ren turned to head over to Jessica's locker. Jessica was watching the clock like a hawk. She was desperately waiting for the end of her class, wanting to rush off to Jonghyun, so she could hitch a ride to Ren's home. The bell finally rang and she sprung up. She had gathered her belongings beforehand, so when her teacher dismissed them, she practically ran out of class. When reaching her locker, she slowed down, confused by someone's presence.

"Ren?" Her eyes widened at the realization. He smiled at her an nodded.

"Oh my god. Why are you here? You're supposed to be in bed!" She hugged him while nearly yelling at him.

"I feel fine. I was sick of being sick in bed. Needed a change of scenery." He reciprocating her hug.

"But, you should be resting. You still sound a bit stuffy." She pouted at him after pulling away a bit.

"Stop making that face. I'm very strongly trying to resist the urge to kiss you." She hugged him again.

"Why'd you bring that paper bag?" Ren smiled and pulled away. He handed the bag to her.

"Chopard? Is that a clothing brand or something?" She took out a rectangular, flat box.

"What's this?" She asked after opening it.

"Your birthstone, on a silver necklace."

"Why?"

"I just wanted to get you something special, and a little more personal. I felt the need to do something nice after everything these past few weeks." He smiled when she leaned against him and blushed. He put his arm around her waist as she looked over the necklace. They both flinched when someone next to them cleared their throat.

"Oh, hi." Jessica felt herself grow small when she saw Lizzy's and Nana's judging faces. Jessica even felt Ren tense up at the realization of their presence. Lizzy and Nana glanced at each other for a moment, before speaking up.

"We should've known the break up wouldn't last long." Lizzy said first.

"But, if you make Jessica happy, I guess we'll just back off. Let you guys be." Nana added.

"Wait, what?" Ren frowned.

"In their own deflecting way, I think they're trying to apologize for how mean they were to you, Ren." Raina clarified. Ren continued to look confused. The girls bid Jessica goodbye and walked off.

"Okay, that was odd." Ren said as Jessica got her bag ready for the weekend.

"In a way, it's sweet."