Chapter Fifteen

After Jamie had returned, she showed some drawings she made of him at day care. He entertained her enthusiasm about how she drew him, but he could feel her mother's hateful eyes on him. Jamie insisted he'd stay for dinner with them and Aron, despite her mother's glaringly obvious dislike of him. They ate quietly for the most part. They only spoke when Jamie would want to. Jessica and Alice were clearing the table when Jamie started pulling on Ren's arm. She wanted to go to her room with him to play, but Ren could guess their mother had a lot to say.

"Hey, James. Why don't we go ahead and play in your room, and maybe Ren can join us later. Okay?" Aron intervened. Alice and Jessica were mentally thanking God for his presence. Jamie looked at Ren sadly for a moment. She finally nodded her head and got up from the table. She rushed to her room, Aron following right after. With the little girl gone, the air became eerily tense. Jessica's mother continued glaring at Ren after Jessica and Alice sat back down at the table.

"So, I will skip the question of what you want with my daughter, because we all know that it's not to just watch a movie and eat cup noodles." Ren nodded to himself when she spoke. "Instead, I'll ask what you'll do different."

"D-D-Different?" Ren looked up.

"Yes. Different. Jessica hasn't told me any details, but I understand that the only reason you ever pursued her was because of some bet you had with Jihoon. And, some video was spread around the school about it. So, you two broke up, because she was hurt. And, now you're here, dripping on my carpet for two hours, because you want back with my daughter. So, what's going to be different?" Ren stayed quiet for a while. "The only way you're going to make this situation any better, is if you speak up."

"Right. Different. Uhm, I'm not sure, really. I never treated her badly, I think. I mean, I never pressured her, or forced her to do anything. I lied to her about a few things. So, I suppose, the only thing I can do different is honesty. Pure painful honesty. It's the least I owe her. And, your family, obviously." Ren grabbed Jessica's hand and squeezed it.

"I truly like your daughter, ma'am. And, I get that I did an immensely stupid thing which hurt her. But, I'm willing to do anything I can to be with her with her now. Even if it means everyone in her life hopes I'll disappear at any moment." Jessica and Alice were stunned in silence for a moment.

"Okay." Their mother said after a while, nodding her head slightly.

"Okay?" Ren frowned at her. She nodded again.

"Okay. I'm fine with you dating my daughter."

"You are?" Ren raised his voice a bit, in shock.

"You are?" Alice looked disgusted.

"Do you want to be with him?" Their mother looked at Jessica. She flinched from it. She thought for a moment, looking at Ren, and then nodded.

"Then, I can't stop you. One way or another, you're going to find a way to be with him, regardless of my opinion. You're a teenager. It makes sense."

"Mom! You can't be serious! Don't you remember how Jessica came home that day?! She cried herself to sleep! She wouldn't even come out of her room to eat!" Alice exclaimed. Jessica squeezed Ren's hand, showing her discomfort. Ren looked at her with a sympathetic glance.

"If you can think of anything that can convince these two to stop seeing each other, by all means say it. You know they'll just find some other place to meet up if we don't allow them." Alice but the inside of her cheek and looked down, defeated.

"You just wanted us to tell your mom because you hoped she wouldn't allow us, didn't you?" Ren said as he glared at her.

"I do have one condition." Their mother started. "We'll have dinner with your parents."