Chapter 11

Bridgette's POV

Day two of avoiding my brother, I know he knows I'm gay as I came out to him in the car the other day and it seems both the author and my brother forgot that that happened. Now just comes the problem of me being mated to an Alpha. The real problem. Sophie noticed it seems and asked me about it. My response? A bit of mate drama. Wow, so creative. I know.

My brief encounters with Kallum seemed to grow more common as he was still our TA for band. Fun. Kallum also seemed to notice me apparently 'acting weird'. I sigh at the memory.

"You doing alright?" Sophie asks for the hundredth time.

"Yes, as I said. Fine." Hah, lie. Avoiding Leah hasn't been easy, seeing as she was always there and couldn't take the hint that I didn't want to talk this out. I didn't want to get to know her better because if I do I won't let her go. Ever.

And knowing this scares me.

I already like her a lot and the fear that she and my brother will hate me is too much, I can't risk it. This gives me one option.

To push her away before I'm too close, but this time on purpose

~-~-~-~-~-~-~

As class dragged on, I noticed something- I had something uncomfortable moist around my lower half when I discreetly looked down. "Shit" I mutter as I notice a small bit of red staining my dark jeans. It was supposed to arrive next week, not today. I mentally groan and look around the room for another afab close enough for me to ask for some female sanitary items from. I couldn't ask any of the jaguars, they all either feared me or hated me and the other option's eyes were already on me. Leah, who sat maybe 3 feet to the right of me, the very person who I was desperately attempting to avoid I would have to talk to. This gave me two choices- Embarrassment or talking to her. Well a new school's always an option but I'd rather not. I brace myself. Taking a deep breath, I turn around to face Leah, who jumps and turns away as if pretending she wasn't staring at me a second earlier. "Hey, uh..." I gulp. Her eyes meet mine again, we look at each other for a solid moment before I continue my sentence. "I kinda need, um, uh, it's that time of month again for me and I-" I turn away. "I kinda need some... sanitary products." Her eyes widen and she nods in understanding. Leah raises her hand and Mr. Malcolm calls on her.

"Yes, Leah?"

"I need to use the washroom, and Bridgette needs to go as well. May we?" He nods and goes back to teaching.

The walk to the washroom is silent, barely looking one another in the eyes. I finish up and wash my hands, just as I was about to leave, however, Leah grabbed my wrist. Finally, she looks me in the eyes. "Can we talk?" She asks in a pleading tone. After a moment's hesitation, I sigh.

"I don't see why we have to."

"You've been avoiding me and I just wanna know why." she murmurs softly. "Please talk to me." I pause, why am I avoiding her? It's not her fault, is it? Might as well give it a shot.

"Sure." Leah's eyes widen in surprise as I accept.

"Really?" She asks in a hopeful tone. I simply nod in response. Maybe this wouldn't be so bad.

~-~-~-~-~-~-~

"Ne- Bridgette, wait." It's my brother. I was preparing to walk home but he drove here. "I'm sorry for overreacting but I'm just worried." I walk along the sidewalk completely ignoring him. He, instead, drove beside me. "I shouldn't have reacted negatively at all, I know you would be careful around her anyways, I'm sure she's great too but-" I hold my hand up with a sigh.

"Please, just, stop apologizing."

"Sor-"

"Miguel."

"Right, um. Yeah." I hold my hand up and he stops the car. I walk over, opening the door.

"We'll talk about all this at home," I say, getting in the car. "for now, just drive."

~-~-~-~-~-~-~

We're all sitting in the small living room in my apartment. It has a single chair and a loveseat. Zoe and Guel obviously share the loveseat andI sit on the plush chair. Zoe's the one who breaks the silence. "I know Miguel effed up but hear him out, OK?" I nod silently while my brother fidgets nervously.

"I've been a bit busy as of late but-"

"Start from the beginning, Miguel." He clears his throat.

"Right, um, well when Mom passed," He looked away from me, not meeting my eye "and our father went out and abandoned us, I went through a lot." His face grew solemn "The whole drama with you not being my full sister and our father refusing to acknowledge us made it worse. I- Everything I knew was turning out to be fake and really, you were the only thing I was sure of, and even that I was cautious of. Heck, whether you were even my sister or not was still up for debate." He ran a hand through his hair before taking a deep, shaky breath. "And then the whole drug thing happened. Really, it was only supposed to be a one time thing when a friend offered me a joint and from there it kind of... snowballed." He sighs and fiddles with his thumbs. "And then, you found out. You and Zoe were so hurt and I- and I just felt like I had- I had to take control of my life again. I didn't want you two to be hurt and I tried so hard to become a mother figure, father figure, brother and boyfriend all at once." Chuckling sadly, he shakes his head. "Look how that turned out."

And that was it. The room was silent, not even a mouse was heard. Zoe was the first one who figured out what to do. Reaching her hand out, she gently rubbed his back, whispering faint words that I couldn't make out. Finally, I reached my own hand out and held his in a firm grasp. "Then don't." He finally looks up at me, worry in his eyes. Of course he took it the wrong way, I never was the best with words. "Just be my brother, just be Zoe's mate. Just be what you already are." I smile softly. "Just be you."

Healthy updating schedual, who's she? Honestly though, I think I might post once or twice a week from now on. Maybe once on Mondays and another on Wednesdays? Anyways here ya go.