will v • kissing while in distress

JUNE

Nico wasn't so bad. At least, not all the time. Friday was a relatively easy day. Nico and I still bickered, but it kinda felt...natural. And less like actual fighting. More like something we just did.

   "Organize these files," Drew slaps stacks of cream-colored folders the width of a Stephen King book onto the desk. "Both of you." Her voice comes out in a growl, which tells us not to ask questions.

I move to Nico's desk. He splits the stack in half and hands it to me. I slide them in front of me and take a deep breath. "Great," Nico mumbles. "Just what I like. Busy work."

"Name of the game."

"That's what my dad would say."

"Are you calling me your daddy?"

Nico's cheeks stain red. I liked seeing him get all flustered. "Do you ever stop and think, hey, maybe I won't be a pervert today!"

"Only for you," I wink. Nico looks away.

"Stop being cringey and get to work," Nico sighs.

My phone buzzes in my pocket. I slide it out to see a call from Travis. I ignore Nico's dirty look and answer it anyway. "Hello?"

"When do you get off?"

"An hour."

"I have to discuss something with you," Travis says. "So come over."

"Discuss?"

"Yes. We need to talk."

"Talk? We don't ever talk?"

"Well, we need to."

"Okay. I'll be there."

"Bring condoms. Just in case."

I stuff my phone into my pocket. Surely it's not a bad kind of 'talk.' It wouldn't be, right?

"Booty call?" Nico snorts.

"Something like that."

Nico sighs. "How romantic."

"As romantic as I want it to be."

"I guess that's fair."

"So, let's get this shit over with so I can get my dick sucked."

Nico rolls his eyes.

"You don't have to escort me, y'know," Nico says as I walk him to his car. "I'm a guy who can fight now."

"It's for safety precautions."

"Right," Nico opens his door and stares up at me. "So, uh...Listen."

"Listening."

"Percy and I aren't together," his eyes twinkle as he blurts it out. "I kind of said that because I thought it would bother you. But it's not true. Not yet, at least."

   I blink slowly. "Why are you telling me this?"

   "Hm?"

   "Why not keep bothering me with it?" I raise an eyebrow, leaning in slightly. "'Cause you like me?"

   His face goes beet red. "You're so annoying. Can't I just be friendly?"

   "No."

   "Of course." He shrinks into his car. My heart tinges slightly. I guess, maybe, I didn't have to be so rude, or flirty, all the time.