2 | Full moon

"Nicholas what did we tell your about running away from us? do you realise how bad that could have been?" Niki sat on the edge of nicks large bed as he sat hugging his knees, staring out of his window. "Are you listening to me?" Niki asked. "Yes i am, i understand mom i just wanted to have a bit of fun and you ruined it" nick snapped. Niki didn't know how to respond, she gracefully walked her way towards the wooden door and opened it, she hesitated and looked bad at her son, "goodnight nick" "goodnight mom" he mumbles back. The heavy door slammed filling the empty corridors with an eerie echo. Nick watched the sun fall underneath the trees that lined their castle, his eyes fell heavy as they began to shut slowly after every blink, and just like that, he was asleep.

"Hey nick, catch!" A boy shouted from across the street. Nick quickly reacted and caught the small yellow ball between his little hands. The group of boys all giggled in sync and continued to play their made up games. They ran around the small village in their muddy clothes without a care in the world, they played knock door run and made people mad as their small legs couldn't run fast enough to get away. One of the boys was a lot smaller than the rest, same age, but didn't act like it. He had never spoke to his friends so they had no idea what his name was, they decided on the name Callahan after reading it in a book they read in the library. Nick was the leader of the group, always making the decisions, always in front. He was the one to chose the game they played and who could play, and it was never an easy decision. His best friend George made a joke that sent them all into fits of laughter that echoed through the small town. As he rolled around the floor gasping for air he caught a glimpse of a small familiar bakery, inside was a small boy wearing a purpl...

His eyes opened suddenly as he remembered the plan he had made with his new friend today, he looked over at the wooden clock that stood proudly on his dresser. 2:13 am. 'Oh god' he thought to himself, rushing to hop out of his bed.

A large sigh escaped Karl's lips for the 50th time as he looked down at his rusty pocket watch that his dad bought for Christmas many years ago. 2:25 am he grabbed his small rucksack that leant against a rock and flung it onto his back, as he started his trip back down to the bakery, he heard heavy breathing get closer and closer. He turned around quickly and was startled by nicks face surprisingly close to his face.

"Nick what the honk took you so long" Karl said as he backed away a bit from nick. Nicks eyebrows raised, "honk?" He questioned. "What? You've never said honk before?" He replied, sort of offended. "N- no" "oh everyone in this town says it, kind of a tradition thing u know, don't know when it started but my dad taught me it from a very young age, the day I learnt to talk he was teaching me, still don't know why" Karl rambled. He stopped himself from carrying on as he looked at where nick was standing and noticed he had gone. He panicked, until he heard a shout in the distance. "Come find me Karl". He smirked and began to run around looking behind every tree and bush he could find, he looked underneath the stacked up boulders and on top of cars parked on the streets. He ran back up to the top of the cliff and heard a little giggle to the right of him. As he looked over he saw nick crouched behind a rock covering his eyes . "Found you" Karl shouted and they both laughed.

Karls and nicks hands sunk into the rocks and dirt as they sat on the ground, they're legs hung over the edge of the large cliff. The wind was very calm on that night, there wasn't a cloud in the sky. Meaning millions of stars dotted the sky like a dot to dot. The only source of light was the full moon that was directly in their eye line. It was beautiful. Nick shared stories that his mother and father told him every night. Karl shared stories about his father discovering the bakery. Before they knew it the moon was about to disappear and a the dark sky had been tinted a light shade of orange. "I think I should go" nick announced as he lifted himself to his feet, Karl copied. They smiled at each other and began walking in opposite directions, Karl looked back at nick, but he was already gone.

Nick raced back to the castle, the guards were only at the main gates at this time, luckily nick knew all the secret ways of getting in, he had a lot of spare time to spend outside as clay learnt the importance of royalty and power.

The golden door knob turned as nick lifted his leg through the window, he quickened his pace and tripped as he climbed into bed. Niki's head appeared from around the doorway and she saw nicks body sprawled out sideways across his bed. He buried his head into his mattress as he tried not to start laughing. Niki giggled and continued to shut the door again. Close one.