15 | Fresh books

"I- I was just going for a little walk"

"ye ye sure you were kid" George replied, not convinced whatsoever by Karl's ridiculous lies. the old man walked over to a small record player hidden in the corner of his room and slowly placed the needle back at the start, it began to softly play a tune. Karl slightly recognised the chords it began to play but couldn't quite put his finger on what it was. 

"what song is this?" Karl shouted to George who started walking back to where they were seated with a hot drink in his hands.

"cant take my eyes off you by Franki Valli. its a classic, mine and dreams favourite song when we were as young as you"

"oh I know this song" 

they sat with a long pause as Karl took the time to warm himself up by the crackling fire. he had a funny feeling, he hadn't noticed it until now,  but the place felt... haunted? tingling ran up his spine as he began to shiver once again. George gave him a reassuring smile, he knew exactly what was going on. but for some reason, Karl didn't feel, panicked, he didn't feel uncomfortable... he felt safe. here in this library, for the first time in almost a year, he felt safe. 

he looked around to find another conversation starter to break the silence. then he noticed the nameplate placed on the rustic desk across the room. the lettering wrote out the name "Phillip Wilson". 

"George?"

"yes kiddo" he took another sip of his hot chocolate.

"who's that on the nameplate?"

George looked behind him at the nameplate and chuckled to himself. "dear, that's my father. he wasn't a great man, but he bought me up, so got to respect that in some way" he laughed. Karl felt happy that he wasn't the only one to leave his fathers nameplate in its prided place. and that conversation was left at that.

the smell of fresh books was all Karl could smell. 

when he was a kid he would always have his nose in a book, his father would shout "look where your going" at him as he walked into a person passing the other way down the street. 

the warn down and stained pages with words Karl still couldn't understand. some books were old, some books had just been published. 

"you can have a look at them if u like" George hummed to the tune they had heard on repeat all night in the backroom, he was doing his own thing, god only knows what.

Karl stood from his chair and was mesmerised as he observed every single book that stood on the rows of bookshelves. he found a book that he still had yet to read and slowly grabbed it off the shelf, "George do you mind if I take th-" the humming had stopped. muffled coughing was now all Karl could here. "George?" 

"yes dear" George said suddenly as he started walking back down the small spiral staircase, coughing into a white handkerchief. 

"gosh you scared me, anyway could I take this book home and read it, I promise ill bring it back" he begged like an eager little child.

"sure you can, keep it kiddo" he ruffled up Karl's damp hair and they both walked to the main door to the outside world. "now you go straight home yes?"

"okay sure" Karl replied, sounding fed up of being treated like a child. "bye old man"

"bye kiddo"

he made his wish, and accomplished it. he could die happy, with the one thing he always wanted. family. George Davidson took his last breathes moments after his friend had walked away... and passed with a smile on his face. family.