Chapter 15: Where it Hurts

Jaylee
I have been cooped in my room since we moved into our house in Montreal, Canada. I only leave the room for eating. I just miss Orlando. I miss my life in Washington. I am tired of running. When things are going right, something bad has to happen. It never seems to fail to happen. My life is just depressing.

I heard a knock on my bedroom door.

"Who is it?" I asked still laying across my bed.

"How about you open the door and see?" I hopped out the bed. I swung the door open.

"Orlando." I said as the tears started form in my eyes. I threw myself into him. He hugged me tightly.

"For a person who didn't answers any of my calls and texts, you seem pretty happy to see me." Orlando said after kissing my forehead. I let him go and sat on my couch near my window.

"I want a good explanation for why you broke up with me." He said putting my hands into his. I stared up at him. I think it's about time I come clean to him.

"Did Obama tell you to break up with me? I thought we was good, ma. Especially before the shot out incident happened." He said sitting in front of me.

"The day, I jumped into the river. I was trying to kill myself. I wanted to get away from everything and everyone." I said laying my head against the wall. I squeezed my eyes together.

"Earlier that day, I had come home. My parents were not there and I was proud. I wasn't up to a beaten that day. I had took care of my homework and I just went to sleep. I wake up to loud footsteps. I just felt something was wrong. I started packing stuff into my backpack. I jumped out the window and..." I stopped to wipe my tears.

"Nah, ma don't cry. Come here." Orlando said pulling me into his lap. I cried into his shoulder until I felt I had gotten it all out.

"I heard the worse thing possible from my mom's husband. I heard a man asked, where I was. My supposed to be father replied, 'She'll be here soon and she'll be all yours to sell. Anything you want her for.' He freaking sold me for prostitution." I said shaking my head. I found myself giving a small chuckle.

"That's not even it. He sold me to your dad." I said wiping my nose. Orlando stood up.

"I should've known." He huffed. "He came to the trap cussing and throwing shit. He showed the whole crew a picture of you, in case we ran up on you. I didn't put two and two together. The picture he showed us looked old. You was maybe thirteen. He wanted us to look over the city for you. I wasn't feeling it because you was young and I wasn't for hurting a little girl." Orlando said pacing from one end of the room to another.

"Come sit down." I said grabbing his arm.

"No, I should've known." He said running his hands down his face. "That I was looking for you but I decided against looking for you because I knew what he'll do to you. So, I stop at the bay. I walked around for a little while to clear my head. Something caught my eye. It was you. I was too late by then you had jumped." Orlando sat down.

"I rushed you to the hospital. I still didn't realize that you was the girl, my dad was looking for. Even, after I visited you for two days to check on you, I still didn't put it together. By then, I wasn't looking for the girl my dad wanted. I just didn't know." Orlando said in frustration.

"Then, I do something stupid by calling you to the hospital and he was there. I'm sorry, Jay. I didn't know. I bet that's why you broke up with me and left the country. How could I be so stupid?" Orlando said palming himself into the face.

"No, Orlando come here. It's not your fault." I said grabbing both of his hands, so he could stop pacing.

"Yes, it is. I hurt you and I wasn't trying to." Orlando said looking over my head. I grabbed his chin.

"Look at me. This is not your fault. It's your father's. I won't let you take the blame for him." I said giving him a kiss.

"What did he do?" Orlando asked under his breath. I look at him a little confused.

"I know he did something. What did he do and don't lie to me, Jaylee?" I sighed.

"Jay. I know he did something because after you left, he came back into the room saying, he about to go handle something. What did he do?" He said grabbing my waist.

"He trapped me into an elevator. I was standing alongside the elevator, waiting as the people came out. I wasn't paying attention and I felt someone grab me. He pulled me into the elevator and pressed me against the wall. He started telling me, how he was going to put me on the streets but he wanted to keep me for his own use. He felt on me. Then, I tried to use you as my exit ticket. I told him to think about his son and how he would feel about this." I stopped myself because I wasn't sure if I wanted to carry on. I could feel Orlando watching me.

"When I said that he replied, I don't give a heck about him. I should kill him for withholding information from me. He told me, if I didn't want you to get hurt, I'll do whatever he wants." I looked up from my hands. I have never seen Orlando so furious. Angry wasn't the word for him.

"He's motherfucking dead. He's dead." Orlando yelled. I damn near peed on myself. I let him fume off for a little while but I couldn't stand to watch him like that. I grabbed his hand.

"Come here." I said wrapping my arms around his waist and rested my head against his chest. He sighed heavily and wrapped me in his arms.

"I care for you." Orlando said kissing the top of my head.

"I care for you, too." I said closing my eyes.

God. I'm happy he's here. Being able to come clean to him, it is amazing. I can't explain. It's like a weight being lifted off my shoulders. I don't feel like I'm facing his father all by myself anywhere. I grabbed the t-shirt, he got me, out of closet.

"Take off your shirt." I said getting a marker out my bucket.

"Thank you, sweet baby Jesus." Orlando said taking off his shirt. I was mentally shaking my head at him.

"You're something else." I said putting the bucket back into my closet.

"Yo, turn. Take it all off." He said walking to me.

"No but slip this on." I said giving him the shirt.

I watched him slip into the shirt. Orlando has definitely got me attached to his hips. I am so willing to be there for him that it scares me how far I am willing to go for him. I don't want to get hurt by him. I know if he does hurt me, it will be something hard to come back from but it's not the end of the world.

I stood in front of Orlando. After he finished putting the shirt on, I marked a line through the word sucks on the shirt. I wrote above it and put rocks.

"Read it to me." I said smiling at the shirt. I don't think he realize it was the shirt, he give me. He started laughing.

"My boyfriend rocks." He said giving the smile that had me head over hills. "Is this shirt, I had made for you?"

"Yes, it is. You're awesome." I said hugging him.

"You're the best girlfriend ever." He said placing his head over my mine.

"I already knew that." Orlando smacked his lips. I laughed as he let me go and hugged himself. I couldn't stop laughing at his puppy dog face. I laid on my bed and turned on the TV. Orlando laid on top of my back. I felt like I was suffocating.

"Get up, baby." I said swinging my arm back to hit him.

"A severe homicide case involving Justin Hernandez and Malina Hernandez." I felt a sense of panic run through my body.

"Orlando get up. I'm serious. Get up." I said getting really worried. He got up. I grabbed the remote and rewind the television back.

"Today on Television News Today, we have a brutal murder case of Malina and Justin Hernandez. The married couple was found in a river with missing limbs. They were missing multiple parts on both of their bodies. Malina has missing legs, ears, and arms, as well as her husband. The judicial department hasn't found the person responsible for this brutal heartless murder. I am Genesis Alonzo and I am reporting live on Television News Today."