Chapter 17: It Remains

Days Later

Orlando
I walked into the church house. I walked down the aisle to the casket. I fought myself for the longest to look over in the casket. I took a breath and glanced in the casket.

"This shouldn't had to be like this." I said covering my eyes. Damn man. I couldn't believe that I didn't see this coming. Maybe, I could have avoided this from happening. I just hope God forgives me. I walked out the church.

"I thought, I told you to stay in the car."

"Jaylee would want me to be here for you." Malina, Jaylee's birth mom, said walking to me.

"This is my fault." I express burying my face in my hands. I felt Malina rubbing my back.

"It's my fault, too. I let Justin hurt her and I never thought he would take it this far." I heard her sigh. "I guess, we are both at fault." We stood in silence. As I started to think about Jay, why did I let this happen to her? I cleared my throat.

"Come on, let's go." I utter walking to the passenger sided to open the door for her.

As we drove away from the church, it still seemed un-real. I didn't picture this. I thought that after meeting up with Jaylee, there was a chance for us to be happy. I was going to spoil the life out of her and instead I put her in danger.

"Sigh again and I just might hit you." Malina voiced, getting me out of my thoughts.

"What happened to Jaylee was not your fault. You didn't know it was going to happen."

"Yes, I did. I knew the moment we touch down from that plane that something bad was going to happened." I conveyed slowing down at the red light. My vision became blurry, as I became more upset with myself.

"I knew it. I knew it." I said slamming fists against the steering wheel.

"Orlando, you listen to me. This is Justin and your dad's fault. If you want to move on from this, you have to accept that. Even if you wouldn't have took her back to Texas, he would have found his way to get to her. So, stop fighting yourself with this." Malina grabbed my hand that was clutching the steering wheel.

I nodded and started trying to clear my head. I drove to hospital because Malina has to get her casket. Justin broke few bones in her arm. She just got a sling on her arm, now.

I stayed behind as Malina followed a doctor to get her casket. I contemplated for a little bit as I walked down the hallway. I knocked on the door. A doctor opened. She looked at me, then her chart.

"Are you either Orlando Cortez or David Caroline? If not, I will have to ask you to leave." The doctor announced putting her chart under her arm.

"Orland Cortez." I said speaking up.

"Okay. If you decide to have physical connect because be respectful to her condition. Also, I gave her medicine for pain. She may seem a little drowsy but she's okay." She declared before walking off.

I enter the room getting a sense of Dèjà vu of how we met. I grabbed her hand causing her eyes to open. She smiled.

"Hey, baby." Jaylee spoke while squeezing my hand.

"Hey, baby girl." I said pulling a chair next to her bed. Jaylee puckered her lips and I kissed them. I laid my head on her shoulder.

"How are you feeling?" I asked kissing her cheek.

"Okay. Earlier was the worst. I was just waking up, after hours of surgery yesterday. The doctor gave me some type of pain reliever. So, I'm starting to not feel it." She said flicking through the TV channels. I sighed.

"Are you blaming yourself?" Jaylee asked looking down at me. I didn't answer just I closed my eyes.

"This isn't your fault, baby. I don't blame you for this. There was no way of preventing this." I shook my head.

"If I wouldn't have called you to the hospital, he wouldn't have known that you was in Washington. If I wouldn't have agreed to take you to Texas, you wouldn't have fell for his trap. Yes, this could have been prevented." I voiced balling up my fist.

"No, I don't regret going to Texas. If I wouldn't have gone, my mom could have been dead by now. I don't regret that at all. I didn't wish for to be shot but it's done now. Plus, all this just brought us closer together." Jay said lifting my head up.

"Don't hold on to this, we have to move on." She said kissing my lips.

"Okay, but before we do that, I have something to tell you. I'll tell you, when you are out the hospital. So, I need you to get better, baby." I said rubbing her forehead then kissing it.

"Baby, you got me anxious, now. Can you tell me on the phone?" I shook my head.

"I'll tell you, when you're better and out the hospital. I just need you to be prepared for what I have to tell you." I said grabbing her hand.

"Okay." She pouted. I smiled and kissed her lips.

"Jaylee Hernandez?" I called. She looked over to me.

"I love you."