Chapter 16: Hit

Mrs. Caroline
"Jaylee, we're going to dinner." Christie said knocking on Jaylee's bedroom. She waited to hear any movements.

"Hunny, are you okay?" Christie said. She still didn't hear anything move. "I am coming in." She said turning the doorknob.

Christie was granted an empty bedroom. Everything was in place. She walked around the bedroom. She opened the bathroom door. Nothing. She started to panic.

Christie noticed the opened closet. She opened it slowly but she still found nothing. Christie sighed as she tried to think. She sat on Jaylee's bed and heard a crushing sounding.

Christie jumped up fast. She realized it was a note. It didn't take her long to realize it was from her adopted child.

"David." Christie yelled for her husband.

"What's taking you so long? Are you in the mirror, again?" David yelled back.

"Get up here, now." Christie called back. David made his way up the spiral staircase. He glanced around the Jaylee's room.

"Where is Jay?" David said glancing at Christie. She lifted the note to him as her tears glided down her face.

The note read, I know I will probably break your heart, when you read this but I am sorry. I took a flight last night to Texas with Orlando. Dad before you yell. I promise Orlando had nothing to do with this. He doesn't want me to go to Texas but he is going to protect and support me. He knows this is something I have to do. I didn't tell you but on Wednesday night news. They reported that my mother and step-father were murdered. This can't be right. I have to find out. Please be okay with this. I need to know, if my mom is dead. Something is just not sitting right with me. I love you, guys. I need you to know that just in case something goes wrong on this trip. Kiss Twinkle for me. I love you.

David sadly looked up from the note. He wrapped his wife in his arms. He rubbed her back as she cried her heart out.

"Hey, Hey." David said shaking her arm to get her attention. Christie wiped her face as she looked up to her husband.

"She'll be alright. She'll be just fine. We just got to pray about it. Okay?" David said trying to soothe her. Christie nodded.

"'I'm going to tell Aaron, we can't make it to dinner." David said leaving out of Jaylee's room. He went downstairs. David paced around the kitchen. He aggressively dialed on his phone.

"Hello?"

"You take care of my daughter." David said pressing his hand against the counter.

"I will." Orlando replied. David nodded his head and hung up the phone. He sighed.

"God watch over my daughter. Please." David prayed clutching his head.

Jaylee
"Who was that?" I asked Orlando. He sighed.

"Your father. He asked me to take care of you." I formed my mouth to say oh but nothing came out. "He's worried about you, Jay."

"I know but you know I need to do this." I said putting my hair behind my ear. Orlando shook his head.

"I shouldn't have listened to you. I shouldn't have." Orlando said running his hand down his face.

"What do you mean? I thought you was going to be here for me. What the hell?"

"Because if something happens to you, I'm gone lose it and it will be my fault. So. Yes, I shouldn't have listen because I know something is going to go wrong." Orlando said slowing down at a red light. I was looking at him like he had two heads.