Chapter 1

#NewClassicPFL

Chapter 1
Article

In panic, I woke up to the intense rocking of my bed. My eyes widened as I felt everything under me rumble. I even caught my wall decorations falling down.

Curious to see what was happening outside and knowing that I needed to be at an open space, I ran out to the veranda of my room. Bumungad sa akin ang nangyayari sa labas. Madaming mga taong nagsisitakbuhan sa kalsada. It all seemed like they were running for their lives.

I was puzzled to see everyone in chaos. Based on how they were acting, it felt like we weren't just experiencing a normal earthquake. I wasn't sure if I needed to leave the house and run away with them. However, my feet refused to move.

Before I knew what was going on, a huge shadow went right past me which completely blocked the sunlight. My throat went dry as my pulse raced for miles. With trembling legs, I braved myself to turn and see what was right behind me.

A gasp escaped from my lips when it parted. I was staring―face-to-face―with a giant human being. He seemed very familiar to me. That was when I realized he was the man who helped me back in Paris. He was still wearing the same outfit from that night―black leather jacket, white turtleneck and jeans.

Although I was feeling terrified, I was amazed at the same time. I was drawn to him. I couldn't stop looking. I couldn't turn away. Like I have a death wish, I just remained standing below him as he towered over me.

Just then, when I thought of him as someone who posed danger or a threat, he suddenly began dancing in a cute way by swaying his hips and doing random hand gestures. He looked like those mascots performing during children's birthday parties. His actions were totally the opposite of how he looked.

At first I found him entertaining, but as soon as he began stomping his feet as a part of his dance routine, the ground started to shake once again. And when he went hard with his dance, I could hear the cracking sounds from the veranda. I looked around and saw crack lines appearing on the concrete.

Not long after, the veranda collapsed. I screamed my lungs out as I felt myself falling along with those concrete debris. But before I could crash on the ground, I snapped out of my nightmare. Napabangon ako kasabay nang pagdilat ng aking mga mata. Hinahabol ko ang aking hininga. The weird dream gave me goosebumps. Hindi ko alam kung bakit ko napaginipan ang lalaking iyon.

I just came home from a direct, nonstop flight from Paris last night. I arrived home at around midnight. Kinuha ko ang aking cellphone upang tingnan kung anong oras na ngunit bumungad sa akin ang ilang missed calls galing kay Ritchelle.

My brows furrowed as creases appeared on my forehead. I even looked at the huge acrylic monthly planner on my wall to see if I had any schedule. But apart from a dinner with Neil, I had no other scheduled plans.

Out of curiosity, I was about to call her back when I heard someone banging on my door. It was then followed by Ritchelle's muffled voice shouting my name from the other side of the door.

"Lavi!" she kept calling out to me while knocking hard.

Kahit medyo inaantok pa ako at masakit ang ulo dahil sa jet lag ay tuluyan na akong bumangon upang pagbuksan siya ng pinto. Agad namang bumungad sa akin ang mukha niyang problemado at punong-puno ng pag-aalala.

"Buti naman at gumising ka na!" she exclaimed as she marched inside my room. "I've been calling you. Naka-silent ba ang phone mo?"

While calmly closing the door, I gave her a nod. "I don't want my sleep to be interrupted so..." I shrugged my shoulders and went back to my bed, planning to sleep again once Ritchelle's out of my room. "Is there anything wrong?"