Epilogue

This chapter not just marks the end of Perfect Fake Lovers but also the New Classic Series. I contemplated how I would write the epilogue, which clearly took me a month. I really had a hard time writing it down because, I guess, I'm not yet ready to let go.

This series was kept in my vault for four years after Fierce. It took me those years to prepare for New Classic. Now, I'm closing the last installment after two years of writing. It's an amazing journey with you, First Class. Thank you so much for being with me all throughout.

For the last time... Got Music?

#NewClassicPFL

Epilogue

"I told you to get your earnings from your shares. I've been trying to give you the passbook, but you still won't take it. Wala namang ibang gagamit no'n kundi ikaw."

Here we go again... Hindi talaga siya nagsasawa sa kakapilit sa akin.

I heaved a sigh, leaned on the backrest of the seat, and tilted my head. I watched Callum as he played on his fountain pen. He was wearing a subtle smile, but his gaze on me was firm and serious.

They somehow found out that I was looking for a part-time job while in college. Callum quickly asked me to meet him and confirm that.

"You need the money, Leo," he reminded me. "Sa 'yo naman 'yon. You don't need to work part-time just to have enough to pay for your monthly expenses. You already have more than what you need."

"That's not mine," I firmly said.

"Even if you deny it, you can't change the fact that you still own 5 percent of the company's shares. It's still under your name," he stated.

Nagtaas ako ng kilay sa kanya. "Why don't I just give it you for free?"

"You know I won't take it," he said. "Papa gave you those shares. Kahit ibenta mo sa ibang board, walang magtatangkang bumili no'n."

Clenching my jaw, his words made me feel like I was being pushed against the wall, and I had nowhere to run. Wala rin naman sa isipan ko ang ibenta ang shares. I don't want any money from their company, especially since I wasn't the one who bought those shares. Ibinigay lang 'yon sa akin. Pampalubag loob ata dahil anak niya ako kahit papaano. But to be honest, he didn't have to. Simula nang bumukod kami ni mama para makapagsimula ay gusto ko nang tuluyan siyang tanggalin sa buhay. Kung hindi ko nga lang sana kailangang maging praktikal.

I needed the monthly allowances he gave me to pay for my mother's regular therapy, medications, and private nurse. I lowered my pride to allow myself to use his money even when I already wanted him out of our life for the better.

We managed to get through life that way until I got so lost in music. Masyado akong nag-focus sa banda at sa mga kaibigan na nahanap ko. I was having fun making music and performing. I was having the time of my life doing gigs. Para akong ibon na nakawala sa hawla pagkatapos makulong ng ilang taon. The scholarship I got in college slipped right through my fingers for being too carefree. I needed to pay for my tuition fee next trimester. Hindi ko na alam kung paano ko pagkakasyahin ang lahat.

Naisip kong mag-drop out na lang sa college o bitiwan ang pagbabanda. Kahit na gustong-gusto kong tumugtog at naging parte na ng buhay ko ang New Classic, kailangan kong pagtuunan ng pansin ang pag-aaral ko at kalagayan ni mama. Ngunit tuwing susubukan kong sabihin kay Ike na aalis na ako sa banda, hindi ko magawa. I couldn't say the words. I wasn't ready to let go of something that rekindled the fire inside me to keep living.

"How much do you need?" Callum asked, preparing his checkbook.

Umayos ako ng upo at umiling sa aking kapatid. I hated that he kept on tempting me. Balang araw, pakiramdam ko'y masasapak ko na siya para lamang magtigil siya.