Chapter 6: Remembering the Past

Rex and Kyle were talking. Amy and I sat at the other end of the auditorium. Amy let out a big sigh. "Finally, hopefully no one else quits." I was messing with my fingers. She glanced over at me. "He told me what happened today." I didn't look at her. "Why not just..."

I cut her off before I finished. "It won't work. He acted like I was supposed to be under his thumb. I didn't want to be held down. I still don't want to be. I want to be free." No one was going to understand that more than me. Plus, my feelings were for someone else.

Rex clapped his hands. "Alright! We shall only do one scene today! Let us start with the phantom's play and then we shall begin point of no return!" Everyone got into position. We were one voice short, but no one missed Mandy. I made my way over to the stage. I started singing low, then got high. I kneeled on the ground and started messing with the flowers in the basket. Kyle came out on stage with a cape. He wasn't as handsome as the phantom. My heart didn't beat out of my chest like the first day of rehearsal. I ignored him. Until he started singing...

You have come here,

In pursuit of that wish which from now

Has been silent.

Silent.

How could I have forgotten what an amazing singer he was. I remembered meeting him in one of the singing competitions as kids. That's how we became friends. He was kind to me when Mandy was so cruel. He wasn't at the last competition due to him catching the flu. Kyle used to beat himself up for not being there. I shook my head from my thoughts. I almost missed my que. I slowly stood up and paced around the stage.

You have brought me,

To that moment where speech disappears into silence.

Silence.

I have come here,

Hardly knowing the reason why.

In my mind I imagine our bodies entwined,

Defenseless and silent.

A loud boom could be heard coming from the intercoms. Something shook the stage, causing Kyle and I to fall. "THE PHANTOM FORBIDS THIS! NO MORE PRACTICE TODAY!"

Rex stood up stomping his foot. "Alright, who's playing with the mics again?" Everyone was silent. His eyes met Amy's. She shook her head. He rolled his eyes. "Whoever confesses, I will go easy. But next time it will be worse!" No one owned up. I stood up. Kyle braced himself then stood back up. My ears picked up a small noise. My eyes looked at the floor. The trap door was opening up and Kyle was on top of it. Rex had his hands on his hips. "No one? It has to be someone." His eyes looked at the stage. "Or was it this mysterious phantom?"

The trap door flew open. Kyle fell down. I rushed over and tried to grab his hand, but it was too late. The door closed with a letter tapped to it. Rex and a couple of the guys quickly jumped on stage. "Damn it! Does everything have to go wrong this week?"

Amy and Trent headed outside. "Trap door exit is this way, follow me!" She shouted at Trent. I handed Rex the letter. His eyes widened. "No. No. NO! WHY DOES THIS PHANTOM WANT TO RUIN ME?" I rolled my eyes and opened it up. I couldn't believe what it said.

Only I work with Krissy. There will be no replacement phantom.

He was jealous! Rex was on the floor sobbing. I looked around. No one else was close enough to read what it says. I made up what it really said. "He says the show will perform at its best or he will cut the show short."

His eyes went to the ceiling. "I'm trying Mr. Phantom! Just give me a chance." Kyle walked in with Trent & Amy. Kyle was covered in dirt and something sticky. Everyone held their noses. Rex jumped up in the air. "Good God what stinks?" Kyle puffed out in annoyance. Amy was trying to hold back her laugh. Kyle's eyes looked at me. "I landed in honey mixed with dirt and only god knows what else. I'm going home." He stormed out of the auditorium. Rex was waving his arms around, trying to get the smell to go away. Amy came over to me. "Guess practice is over." I silently nodded. I needed to see the phantom. Amy and I left. As we were walking outside the school, Trent caught up to us.