Chapter 9: The New Phantom

Rex was standing on stage. Everyone else was sitting in the audience. He was very cheerful. Trent and Amy sat next to me. Trent had his arm over Amy. "Settle down! Now I want you all to meet Adam." Some of the girls whistled. Mandy smiled this little evil smirk as she winked at him. The girls outside were screaming. Rex had to lock the doors to keep them out. Adam smiled and bowed for us. "He will be our new phantom replacement."

Adam raised his eyebrow at him. "I would like to audition for my role."

Rex waved his hand. "Don't be ridiculous. I've heard your audio recording and it has convinced me already."

Adam looked at the ground and crossed his arms. "You had them all audition."

Mandy rolled her eyes. "Give him the audition!" Adam glanced over at Mandy as she waved at him. He simply smiled.

Rex groaned. "Fine! Krissy up here now." Rex dragged himself down the steps. Why did I get volunteered? Everyone else did it without another person. Once I stood next to him, he whispered into my ear. "Get ready to be in character."

Before I could even ask what scene, we were doing, he pulled out a mask. It covered half of his face. Rex was about to object, but Amy pulled him back into his seat. Adam got really close to me.

Slowly, gently.

Darkness stirs and wakes the imagination.

Turn your face away. From this light of day.

The darkness of the music of the night.

He ran to the other end of the stage. His eyes beamed at me. He mouthed to me what he was doing. 'The point of no return'. He wanted me to start it. I closed my eyes.

You have brought me.

To that moment where speech disappears into silence, silence.

I have come here, hardly knowing the reason why.

I've imagined our bodies intwined, defenseless and silent.

Now I am here with you. No second thoughts.

I've decided, decided.

As I sung, my voice echoed the whole room. Adam just watched me like the phantom would. He quickly raced over to me, as we sung together.

We have past the point of no return.

Silence.

Everyone was cheering. I was waiting for Adam to let me go. He did after a few minutes. Mandy was whistling. Rex was clapping. "Okay, okay. You got the part. It's official now." Adam smiled at me. "Now can we practice the scene for the championship?"

Mandy stood up. "Before we do, I need everyone to follow me." She headed over to one of the side entrances. We all looked out the door. In the football field, was the top of the opera house. It was completed and looked so life like. Rex's mouth dropped. Mandy smiled proudly. "They'll remove it when the guys play. A truck will bring it out for us. Can we practice out there today?"

Rex blinked twice. "Let's go everyone!" We all headed outside. I was pulled back into the room. Looking at the main doors, the girls were gone. Probably heading to the football field. My eyes met Adam's. He gave me a dirty look. "Here's the deal, we are working together. No funny business."

I raised my eyebrow. "I don't know who you think you are. I'm doing this for my mother who passed away. This was her favorite show. I'd never do anything to fuck it up."

Adam looked at his nails. "I've heard stories about the mysterious phantom. I'm not afraid of him. He seems to only have your best interest at heart." My cheeks were turning red. He knew nothing about the phantom. He smirked at me. "You have a fiery spirit. I like it." He went outside. I stood there, boiling. He was so infuriating. I glanced at the stage. The phantom stood there. "Krissy." He called to me.