Chapter 7: Accusing the Innocent

I was laying in my bed, thinking of the phantom. Did I like him because of how mysterious he was? How he only wanted me? I didn't know the answer. Why was Kyle walking in the park the same time the phantom was? Kyle could never be the phantom. Their eyes aren't the same. Thinking back to the one week I dated Kyle was okay until it turned into a nightmare...

Walking down the hall to class, I was excited to be on time. I had been late a lot. But it was only because I was in therapy. Dad wanted me to take it because I had been extremely depressed. He would know things more if he was actually home. A boy jumped in front of my path. "Hey Krissy. Can you give me the answer to problem #26? I can't figure it out and my parents couldn't help me either." It was John from my math class. He was a smart kid, but he did get stumped on a problem or two every now and again. I reached into my backpack and pulled out my homework. "The answer is y=7/2."

He quickly wrote it down. "Thank you so much. How did you get that?" I stood there and explained it to him, smiling at the fact that I could feel needed. Kyle stormed up to me, arms crossed. He glared at John. "Who's this guy?" John thanked me and quickly ran off.

I gave Kyle a dirty look. "Really? You scared him."

"I asked who he was. He shouldn't be over here flirting with you. And you were smiling!" He grabbed my arm and tried to pull me outside. I stopped in my tracks. "I was giving him the answer to our math homework! You are too jealous. I can't take it anymore! Were done." For the past few days, he was always around. I never got a break. He blew up my phone constantly. Where are you? Are you home alone? That guy in the hallway, was he asking you out? He always thought some other guy wanted me.

His attitude changed once I spoke up. "Krissy, wait! I'm sorry."

I crossed my arms against my chest. "Are you? You've been chasing every guy away from me. I'm not your property. I can't live like this. We just need to stay friends." Kyle tried to beg me as I walked away, but I just ignored him.

Knocking could be heard echoing throughout the house. Shaking my head, I waited for a moment. The knocking turned into banging. It was on my front door. I dragged myself out of bed, going downstairs. I unlocked the front door and opened it. My door flew open. Mandy's mom stood there, hands on her hips. "WHERE IS YOUR FATHER? I NEED TO SPEAK TO HIM RIGHT NOW!" She pushed herself past me and into the house. I groaned. I hated when she did this. She was always trying to get me in trouble. "He's in Japan. Try again in two days." She turned around, her eyes almost popping out of her head like I cursed her out. She puffed. "What did you and your friends plan against my daughter?"

I was confused. "Ms. Mendez, I have no idea what you're talking about. Can you please go home?"

"I know it was you guys! You're always picking on my poor Mandy. She just wants to be a star like you! If your mother were alive, she wouldn't let you act like this." That's where I drew the line. My mom was gone. I was tired of everyone bringing her up. I can't deal with this. "Get out." I said deep and low.

She stared at me in disbelief. "How dare..."

"I SAID, get out." Raising my voice, I was getting to the point to where I was fed up. She stared at me in horror. She wanted to leave, but she was trying to put her foot down with me. "Tell me what you and your friends planned against my daughter. Then I'll leave."

I cracked my knuckles loud enough for her to hear. "I know nothing. I didn't plan anything. I want to be left alone. Not for you to barge into my house like you own it too. I suggest you get out and keep your bratty daughter away from me." She didn't wait, she rushed out of the house. As she ran down the sidewalk, I could hear. "Wait till your father gets home!" I slammed the door shut.