Chapter 5: Returned Memories

Key's POV

A week has passed and Onew managed to move along and was back to himself at the end of the week. We had released our Sherlock album and was very delighted of the huge great responds for it. So to celebrate the happiness, we ordered Onew’s favorite food, CHICKEN, and of course, a cake which the company sponsored. We even had soju so we were in for a treat.

Kae Jung’s POV

The reporters have all surrendered on me and relief washed over me. A week passed, I didn’t hear anything from Onew, not that I was expecting it but I suddenly felt this feeling I’ve never felt before. Like I knew him and he knows me as well. I thought for a while as there was not much customers on that day. I went to the balcony upstairs and sat there thinking where or how I could have known Onew. After an hour of thinking, I couldn’t get anything out. I went to my locker and told my manager that I wasn’t feeling well and went back home. I went home and began searching for anything that might trigger my memory.

Then, I remembered a vintage box where I put all of my precious memories in it. I took it out and blew the grey dust off, causing me to sneeze a lot because I was allergic to dust. I opened the lid and I saw an amber diary, wrapped by an old looking string tied with a key and a locket. I opened it up and lifted it up to read when a piece of photo fell out of it. My eyes was about to fall off when I saw little Onew and I posing like spies. I thought for a moment when I looked behind the picture.

“I’ll never forget you, my best friend.” there it was, written in my ugly handwriting when I was in primary 6.

I knew Onew? I was his best friend?

Then all the memories flashed at me like a bullet train as I blinked before blacking out. All the memories, when he came as a transfer student, no one wanted to play with him because he was a foreigner, someone we weren’t really used to. I went up to him and offered a book to read with me during our free times. We became quick friends and others were wary of both of us. Then after taking that particular picture on my birthday costume party, he disappeared… until now. I blinked my eyes as I noticed I was still in my room, holding that picture. Then I felt my cheeks wet, realizing that I was crying while I blacked out.

“It was you. That’s why approached me… You remembered who I was but I forgotten about you…” I said to myself as I cried softly through the night.

Onew’s POV

I suddenly felt my chest tightened and all my thoughts went to Kae Jung. I rubbed my temple as a throbbing headache came to me suddenly. I went out to the balcony and the rest of them were still celebrating inside. It was cold but the air was fresher. I breathed in as I frowned. I played with the little smoke that we always form due to the coldness to entertain myself. Then I looked up to the sky and the stars were already smiling on me with such gentleness. It reminded me of Kae Jung’s difference compared to it. Kae Jung was the total opposite of gentle though maybe at times she is but I guess that was who she was. I looked down, looking at the houses below, wondering what happened to her. I felt strangely uncomfortable right now as if something happened to her.

“Aish… Kae Jung you’re really making me go crazy…” I whispered when I noticed key was beside me, laughing softly.

“Yah(hey), why don’t you go and see her if you feel bad.” He said and I took off without uttering another word to him.

I grabbed my black scarf and a red beanie, taking off to see her. I was feeling so excited and I couldn’t wait to talk to her.

Just when I reached in front of her house, I saw her leaning by the clear windows. She seemed to be staring up at the sky, and I was afraid that the glistening on her cheeks were not tears. As I walked up closer, I saw that she really was crying.

“That’s why I felt uncomfortable…” I said to myself as I stood very near to the window.

She noticed me and blinked away her tears and opened the windows immediately. We stared at each other for a moment when she suddenly hugged me tightly. I felt my heart in my throat as she cried harder.

“Mianheyo(Sorry)… Nan(I) jinjja(really)… I’m sorry… I’m sorry for forgetting you…” her last phrase caught me off guard when I remembered all those precious times I spent with her that was so special to me. I pulled from the hug as I wiped her tears with my thumb and smiled at her.

“It’s okay… I’m glad you managed to remember all those times.” I smiled at her as she continues to sob.

“Stop crying… it’s not your fault…” I said as I hugged her again.

She pulled away from me and invited me into her house which was so much warmer than outside. She finally stopped crying and made us some green tea. I looked around at her yellow house and smiled to myself. She never changed.

Unknown POV

“Yah(hey), isn’t that the same girl? And… isn’t that ONEW??” I said shockingly.

“Yeah, I think so too…” my cameraman said.

“Palli(hurry)! Take pictures… I thought they just cleared they’re misunderstanding.” I frowned. 

Then Onew seemed like he was invited into her house. Then she went over to the windows and squint her eyes at our direction. We ducked as quickly as we could like a frightened oyster. We slowly crept up again noticing that the curtains were closed, there was nowhere we could get photos or solid proof they were doing something else.

“Damn it. We can’t make a report without evidence, maybe they are more than friends.” I said to my cameraman.

“I think so too. Should we go now?” he asked as I nodded sharply, seeing nothing else for us to do.

“Let’s cling on them for a moment while the other reporters look for something else.” I grinned evilly, looking back at the lighted house.