Chapter 18.2

Author Note:

Thank you so much for taking the time to read the Legend of the Firewalker on Wattpad! Thank you so much for your support and for voting! 

More information is available at www.legendofthefirewalker.com or through Facebook at facebook.com/stevebevilwriting.

————————————-

Chapter 18.2

The sound of their voices faded as Nathan walked away. The last thing he heard was Angela saying something about Steve and Amanda still being missing. He stood in front of the refreshments table and picked up one of the wind-strewn cups that rolled back and forth across the table. He wanted a drink of water, but the container was empty, and so were the bottles of fruit juice and bags of chips.

Nathan sighed. He wasn't in the mood to rejoin the group, so he decided to clear the table. He found a black trash bag and started to put the utensils that had been used in it.

"Wow, that table looks like a war zone," said a cheery voice behind him.

Nathan sighed again. Who is this now? He turned around and was surprised to see Samantha Darding standing in front of him. Nathan cleared his throat.

"Oh — hi, Sam," he said.

She smiled. Her hair was loosely pulled back into a bun, and a long strand of curly brown hair hung freely to the side of her face. "So, there's nothing left?" she said, eyeing the table.

"No," said Nathan. "When it comes to food, these guys are like vultures."

Samantha laughed. "Here," she said, placing her empty cup into the bag, "I'll help you." She looked up into the ominous sky. "I assume we will be leaving soon, anyway."

"Yeah, I suspect that as soon as LaDonda and Malick return, she'll be ushering us out of here." Nathan paused to look up at the sky. He noticed the trees had begun to sway and the air seemed cooler. "I'm surprised she hasn't texted one of the counselors yet, instructing us to head back to Lawrence hall."

"Yup, it definitely looks like a storm is heading our way," she said. "I hope it doesn't affect the banquet or the fireworks tomorrow."

Nathan chuckled. "Don't worry," he said. "LaDonda already has that covered. I was told that if it rains, we'll just have the banquet inside." He paused to start folding the tablecloth. "And in the past, if it rained on the Fourth of July, they would usually just have the fireworks display the following day."

Samantha took the other end of the tablecloth to help him. "I know," she said, with a smile, "I live here too, remember?"

He smiled, placed the folded tablecloth in a maroon bag that had plastic cups in it, and nodded. "Yeah. That's right," he said, feeling slightly embarrassed.

"My parents will be here tomorrow for the banquet and closing ceremony," she continued. "Jim too. I suspect he's only coming because of Lafonda."

Nathan nodded and attempted to collapse the table. A bolt of lightning lit up the sky and a crack of thunder sounded off in the distance.

"I'm sure Lafonda will be excited," he said, with a chuckle.

Samantha smiled and then stood in silence for a moment. "How come I haven't seen you at any of Jim's parties or when Lafonda comes over?" she asked.

Nathan could feel his face turning red. "You mean, at your house?" he stammered.

"Well, technically it's my parents' house," she responded. "But yes."

Nathan's ears burned so he knew his face had to be bright red. The truth was, he just didn't think he would fit in. He shrugged. "Um, no reason," he said.

"Good," she said enthusiastically. "Because I am having my seventeenth birthday party next month and I want you to come."

His eyes were wide. "Me?" he asked, in surprise. He didn't want her to know he was surprised so he relaxed and spoke with a more confident voice. "I mean, you want me to come?"

Samantha nodded and tried not to giggle. "Yes," she said, "you can just come with Lafonda. It will be fun; and I've invited some people from camp too."

"Am I missing something here?" he asked. "Are those two back together?"

Samantha's eyebrows were raised. "I don't know anything," she said, with a grin. "I'll let them tell you."

He frowned. "I'll take that as a yes."

A bolt of lightning streaked across the sky, illuminating the clouds directly above them. The sound of loud rumbling thunder followed and Samantha jumped. Nathan looked down and saw that Samantha was holding his arm.

"That was loud," he said.

Nervously, Samantha released Nathan's arm and fidgeted with her clothes and hair. "Yes," she said. "It was."

He looked down again. This time it was because his cell phone was vibrating in his pocket. "I bet that's LaDonda calling me," he said.

Nathan spoke on the phone for a while and then ended the call. "Yup," he said. "It was LaDonda. She said she's almost here, but wanted me to clean up and break down the table." 

"Check," said Samantha, while eyeing the folded-up table and closed garbage bag. "You are way ahead of her."

Overhead, another bolt of lightning lit up the sky, followed by a low rumble. LaDonda and Malick were walking swiftly out of the forest, and Nathan was surprised to see Argus close behind them.

"Listen up, everyone!" LaDonda said loudly. "As you can see, there is a storm heading our way, so let's pack up and head back to Lawrence Hall."

———————————————————

Thanks again for reading! 

And I would definitely appreciate your vote! :)