Chapter 20.1 (911)

Author Note:

Thank you so much for taking the time to read the Legend of the Firewalker on Wattpad! Thank you so much for your support and for voting! 

More information is available at www.legendofthefirewalker.com or through Facebook at facebook.com/stevebevilwriting.

————————————-

Chapter 20.1

"911 dispatch," said the voice over the phone. "Please state your emergency."

A cold shiver shot down Nathan's back, and his mind was suddenly flooded with images of Leah as she tried to defend herself from an unseen attacker. He quickly closed his cell phone and placed it into his pocket. "What happened?" he asked. "Who took them?"

He attempted to exit the elevator, but Samantha pushed him back. "We can't," she said anxiously. "We have to get out of here. They move so quickly! They're everywhere!"

"Who's everywhere?" Nathan asked, peering out of the elevator.

The common area was in disarray; the round tables once set upright were now toppled over. From what he could tell, there were several scratch marks on the walls. 

"I don't see anyone," he said.

He turned to look at Samantha. She was clutching her arm and her entire body was shaking. Nathan noticed the rips in her nightgown and her blood-soaked hands. Instantly, he was reminded of Leah again.

"Are you hurt?" he asked.

Samantha leaned against the elevator wall and raised her sleeve, revealing a deep cut on her shoulder. She placed her hand on the wound and winced in pain. "I don't think it's that bad," she said. "It probably would have been worse if it weren't for Angela."

"Angela?" he asked, while inspecting the wound.

A loose strand of hair dangled in her face. With the back of her hand she attempted to move it out of the way, but ended up smearing blood on her forehead and face.

"They were all around me," she said. "I didn't know where to run." She paused to wipe the tears that swelled in her eyes. "One second they were in front of me, but then they were gone. After they cut me, I fell to the ground; that's when Angela showed up. She saved me, but then they took her."

He took a moment to look at the slashes on the walls again. "Where did the creatures come from?" he asked. "Did they come out of the stairway? The bathrooms?"

"Creatures?" she muttered.

"Yeah," he responded, after peering out of the elevator again. "How many creatures were there?"

Samantha shook her head. She looked confused.

"You know," he said, pointing to her injured shoulder. "The black-and-gray furry things with long claws and sharp teeth."

Her body shook again, but this time her eyes trembled.

"No, no, no!" she shouted. "There were no claws or furry creatures; just black empty faces and shiny silver swords!" 

Nathan's heart instantly kicked into overdrive as if it was trying to leap out of his chest. "Shadow Guards," he muttered. "Jonas!"

Defensively, he stepped out of the elevator with his hand poised to fire.

"Stay here," he said.

Samantha nodded.

Slowly, he proceeded down the hall with his hand stretched out in front of him. Up close he could see the marks on the walls weren't scratches, but deep slashes made by either a big knife or a sword.