Chapter 8.1 (The Fallen Ones)

Author Note:

Thank you so much for taking the time to read the Legend of the Firewalker on Wattpad! Thank you so much for your support and for voting! 

More information is available at www.legendofthefirewalker.com or through Facebook at facebook.com/stevebevilwriting.

————————————-

Chapter 8.1

So, how did it go, Mr. Nathan?" asked a cheery Lafonda.

Malick grinned and ran his hand through his hair. "I'll leave you guys to your conversation," he said.

Lafonda pursed her lips and glared at Malick before returning her attention back to Nathan. "So," she said, sighing lightly, "how did it go?"

"Not too bad," he grinned.

"What's so funny?" she asked.

Nathan glanced over at Malick as he walked aimlessly around the other fire pits. He looked back at her and smiled again. "Nothing," he said.

Lafonda rolled her eyes. "I found a copy of last year's yearbook," she said with a sigh. "I checked and Leah's photo is definitely in there."

"How did you find it?"

"Being back on campus, I have been thinking more about Leah lately," she continued. "I remembered that you wanted to know what she looks like."

"Cool. Do you have it with you?"

"No," she said. "I actually ran into Jonathan Black in the lobby after dinner and he had it with him."

"So, Jonathan finally showed up, huh?" Nathan asked with a smile.

She laughed. "Yes, Erin really let him have it."

He grinned for a moment and then paused. "Why on earth would Jonathan Black be carrying around an IUCF yearbook with him?"

Lafonda stood silent and then took a quick glance out to the lake. "That's a good question," she said. "I didn't think to ask."

Nathan scanned the beach and the fire pits. Malick was having a conversation with LaDonda, and some kid was playing dangerously close to one of the fires. Jonas, he thought. "I don't see Jonathan," he said. "I wonder if he has it with him."

"Oh, I have it," said Lafonda reassuringly. "I borrowed it from him. It's upstairs in my room. I can show you her picture tonight when we get back."

"Sounds like a plan," smiled Nathan. He looked around the beach again. "I still don't see Jonathan anywhere."

She looked around too. "I don't see him either. But I know I saw him with his group before we got on the trail." She sighed. "Anyway," she said with a shrug, "I better get back to the girls. And please do something with Jonas before he burns himself."

Nathan nodded. "Believe me," he chuckled. "I know."

She grinned and then headed towards a group of girls who were talking and laughing around one of the bonfires.

Jonas spotted Nathan and waved excitedly at him.

Nathan shook his head. "Jonas," he groaned. 

"Hey!" called out Lafonda. "By the way, good job with everything tonight."

Nathan smiled.

"I agree," added LaDonda walking over to Nathan.

Malick was following behind her.