Chapter 21.3

Author Note:

Thank you so much for taking the time to read the Legend of the Firewalker on Wattpad! Thank you so much for your support and for voting! 

More information is available at www.legendofthefirewalker.com or through Facebook at facebook.com/stevebevilwriting.

————————————-

Chapter 21.3

She kissed the blond man teasingly on the ear and gently traced the side of his face with her finger. She then focused her attention on Nathan, glaring at him with her sparking green eyes.

"He's no one," she said. "Just a boy I considered toying with while looking for the one we seek."

"Like you toyed with that one?" he said, pointing to the muscular guy, who had recovered from Nathan's energy ball and was just now getting to his feet.

"Who? Steve?" she snickered. "He serves a purpose."

The blond man pointed towards Nathan. "I thought you had brought only five of them this time," he continued. "Where did he come from?"

She suddenly looked flustered. "I don't know," she said, turning around to gawk at the priest with the gold-and-silver medallion. "Why wasn't he with the others?" she yelled. "Are you trying to make me look like a fool?"

The priest quickly lowered his head. "My apologies," he responded with a hiss. "We weren't aware of him. My magic has detected the one you seek, but unless they use their ability, it's hard to tell which one."

"Then we'll have to test them all," she demanded. "Bring them here!"

The priest with the crescent-shaped medallion vanished into the archway.

Steve stumbled over to a pillar that made up one of the archways. He placed his hand to his head, and he looked bewildered. "W-where am I?" he stuttered.

The man with the chiseled chin sighed. "Time is a precious commodity these days, my dear," he said haughtily to Amanda. He had a petulant look on his face. "And you are wasting it!"

Flippantly, she tossed back her long, curly blond hair as if to show disapproval. 

He rolled his eyes at her display of protest and pointed at Steve. "And please tell me, why in all the realms did you decide to keep that pitiful thing?" he asked with disgust. "Do him a favor and kill him already; put him out of his misery."

She headed over to Steve, whose muscular frame was slumped over.

"Get rid of him?" she laughed. "My pet? But he's so useful."

Steve looked up at her, the confusion in his eyes starting to fade.

"Amanda?" he asked. "What happened? What are we doing here?"

She leaned over and gently stroked his face with the back of her hand. "There, there," she said, with a mothering voice.

The confusion on Steve's face suddenly disappeared. He stood up and looked empty-headed again.

"See my darling," she shouted, joyfully. "As good as new and as obedient and loyal as a dog — just like all mortal men are who feel my touch!"

It suddenly dawned on Nathan why he felt compelled to dance with Amanda the night of Lafonda's birthday party. "She touched my arm," he murmured. "I knew something was up. I would never voluntarily subject myself to public humiliation by dancing!" 

"You!" she snapped. Her green eyes suddenly filled with rage. "Shut up!" She motioned at Steve. "And you," she commanded hysterically, "what are you waiting for? Tie them up!"