Chapter 11.4

Author Note:

Thank you so much for taking the time to read the Legend of the Firewalker on Wattpad! Thank you so much for your support and for voting! 

More information is available at www.legendofthefirewalker.com or through Facebook at facebook.com/stevebevilwriting.

————————————-

Chapter 11.4

Nathan tossed the lighter fluid bottle into the wheelbarrow and pushed it off to one side. Reluctantly, he headed over to the others. He took a seat next to Lafonda, who was having a conversation with Erin, and stared into the fire. He wondered how Malick could have started those fires — and so fast.

He glanced over at Malick. It looked like LaDonda was giving him instructions on how to set up the table he was carrying. "I know there wasn't any lighter fluid lying around either," Nathan muttered. "Is it possible? Yes, but highly unlikely."

He continued his gaze back into the fire. The voices of the others were becoming secondary to his thoughts. And where did he find the matches? I would have to check, but I don't even think Argus left matches.

Nathan heard his name and turned to find Lafonda smiling at him.

"What's up?" she said. "You've been really quiet lately."

Nathan gave a half smile, though he had a somber look on his face. "Nothing," he said. "Everything is fine."

Lafonda's eyes scrutinized his. "Okay, then," she said. "Fine. Don't tell me."

He let out a light chuckle. "It's nothing," he said. "Really."

"So, there is something," she said.

He sighed. "So, any news on how your friend is doing?"

Lafonda looked confused.

"You know," he said, "your friend in the hospital — Leah."

Lafonda shook her head. "I guess I'm supposed to pretend that you're not changing the subject," she said. She paused for a moment before continuing. "I haven't heard anything, really. I tried her cell, but it goes straight to voicemail." She had a sad look on her face. "If I don't hear back from her soon, I'll try her parents."

"I hope she's okay," said Nathan.

Lafonda frowned. She folded her arms across her chest and crossed her legs. Nathan could see that her right leg bounced impatiently. Oh, boy, he thought to himself. Here it comes.

"Okay," snapped Lafonda. "Something is definitely up with you." 

He stared blankly at her.

"And don't give me that look! You are definitely acting different." She gestured to count on her fingers. "First," she said, "magically, you decided to start wearing your leadership shirt, which I know you hate." Lafonda paused with a surprised look on her face. "And second, you're being nice. When did you become so thoughtful and caring?"

Nathan smiled modestly. He really wasn't trying to be different or nice or caring. The only thing that was different was that he knew their lives were in danger, and because of that, every second counted. He hesitated. "I guess," he said, "I guess it's just that — I appreciate things more now."

Lafonda's mouth fell open; she was speechless.

He sighed. "Okay, you can close your mouth now. I do have a heart and I am human — sometimes."