Chapter 10.1 (Blue Flame)

Author Note:

Thank you so much for taking the time to read the Legend of the Firewalker on Wattpad!  Thank you so much for your support and for voting! 

More information is available at www.legendofthefirewalker.com or through Facebook at facebook.com/stevebevilwriting.

————————————-

Chapter 10.1

Nathan let out a huge gasp, instantly sitting up in bed. His breathing was labored, and he was covered in sweat. "How did I get back here?" he wondered, frantically.

Slowly, he looked around the room, but his heart continued to beat hard against his chest. I must've fallen asleep after the bonfire last night, he thought, while staring at the clock in his room.

He recalled walking back to Lawrence Hall with Lafonda and the rest of the campers, but everything else was a blur after he got back to his dorm room. 

Nathan wiped the sweat from his brow. It was almost 7:00 in the morning. I must've been so tired that I crashed once I hit the bed.But if that was a dream—it felt so real.

His thoughts were racing as he tried to recall every detail about the dream. "Wait — what's that?" he murmured. "What's that blue light?"

He squinted as his eyes continued to adjust to the dark room. Nathan inched forward to investigate, and without warning he thought he saw a blue spark fly from his hand.

"Aaah!" he yelled, springing out of bed.

Nathan examined his hand hysterically, but piercing through the darkness was a flickering blue light burning at the foot of his bed.

"Fire!" he yelled.

Desperately, Nathan looked around the room for something to use to put out the fire. He grabbed a towel that was hanging on the door knob to the closet and repeatedly beat the towel against the bed until the last flame had been extinguished.

Nathan sat on top of the desk in his room and laughed. "I don't know why I didn't just throw the towel on top of the flames," he chuckled. "I guess I wanted to beat the flames to death."

He looked down at the scorched bed sheets, and his face went blank. "Those flames were blue," he uttered. Nathan looked down at his hands. "In my dream a blue flame came out of my hand. B-but this can't be real."

He continued to examine his hands. "But if it was just a dream, where did the fire come from? And the spark?"

Quickly, he jumped off the desk and searched around the room for any source that could have caused the fire. He examined his hands again. "If I caused this fire," he muttered, "then, what other parts of the dream are real too?"

Images of the dream flooded his mind, and his stomach tightened. First, he recalled running through Grimm Cemetery. Next, he remembered seeing the mysterious red- and black-hooded figures and the strange woman dressed in white. "Jonas and Leah!" he cried. "And Lafonda!"

He sank down on the edge of his bed. Images of Leah being stabbed in her arm by the lady in white tormented him. He remembered her screams, and his stomach continued to tighten. The faceless black-hooded figure came to life again, as did the silver sword that the villain plunged into Lafonda's back. A feeling of dread came over Nathan, and he felt like he was holding her again. He trembled as he remembered her lifeless body.

Nathan's thoughts were suddenly interrupted by the sound of an approaching bouncing ball, followed by a quick knock at his dorm room door. He took a deep breath and sighed with relief. Quickly, he tossed the towel over the scorch marks and opened the door. "Jonas!" he smiled.