Chapter 20.3

Author Note:

Thank you so much for taking the time to read the Legend of the Firewalker on Wattpad! Thank you so much for your support and for voting! 

More information is available at www.legendofthefirewalker.com or through Facebook at facebook.com/stevebevilwriting.

————————————-

Chapter 20.3

The back of the house was completely dark, but there was a faint glow of light from one of the back windows. "I hope he's still there," he said. "I hope they didn't come for him." Nathan stood atop a brick that rested against the house to get a better look inside the window. "If he's gone, how on earth will I get in?"

Inside the window, he could see Bobby playing video games in the dark with the light from the television reflecting on his face. Nathan lightly tapped on the window, and in a flash Bobby turned off the television and hopped into bed.

Nathan chuckled. "Bobby," he whispered while continuing to tap on the window.

Bobby slowly opened his eyes and stared at the window for a moment before getting out of bed. "Jonas?" he asked.

Nathan smiled. "No," he said. "It's me, Nathan."

"What are you doing out there?" asked Bobby, while raising the window. "Is my brother out there too?"

"No," he said. "Have you seen him tonight?"

Bobby shook his head.

Nathan glanced around the room. The box for Bobby's video game Wizards and Warriors was on the floor, and there was a Wizards and Warriors poster on the wall. "I need to talk to you," he said.

"Am I in trouble?" Bobby asked. "Please don't tell my mom. If I get in trouble again, I won't be able to go to my brother's closing ceremony tomorrow."

Nathan chuckled. "A strange man is looking through a little boy's window in the middle of the night and you think you're in trouble?"

Bobby tilted his head and folded his arms across his chest. "You're not a stranger, Nathan," he said. "We've met, and besides, I'm not a kid. I'm almost ten years old."

"Okay, all right," said Nathan. "I want to show you something, but first you have to promise me you won't be opening windows anymore for anyone after tonight."

"Okay," said Bobby, pausing to take a seat on the windowsill.

Nathan took a quick glance at the poster on the wall again and stepped back. "Um, Bobby," he said.

Bobby looked back at him with eager anticipation.

"Have you seen anything strange or odd lately? Any weird creatures or people, like in Wizards or Warriors?"

Bobby's face suddenly looked peculiar as if he was trying to remember something. "There was this black cat in the tree once," he said. "It was really hairy, not like Lacey. It growled a bunch and it had sharp teeth."

"What did the growling sound like?"

The boy twisted his lip and stared off somewhere over Nathan's shoulder. Suddenly, his eyes lit up and he spoke again. "Like Lacey, but when she's been accidentally stepped on — I think?"

Nathan nodded. "Gotcha," he said. He took a few more paces back, standing closer amongst the trees. "They must have erased his memory, like they did with Jonas," he thought. "And they probably did the same thing to their dad."