Chapter 19.2

Author Note:

Thank you so much for taking the time to read the Legend of the Firewalker on Wattpad! Thank you so much for your support and for voting! 

More information is available at www.legendofthefirewalker.com or through Facebook at facebook.com/stevebevilwriting.

————————————-

Chapter 19.2

Nathan and Jonathan dove forward with pieces of rock falling behind them. Nathan placed his hands over his head and stayed close to the ground. After a few moments of silence, he slowly opened his eyes. The small chamber swirled in a cloud of dust and pieces of rubble lay in clumps all around him. "Jonathan!" he called out.

"I'm right here," responded Jonathan, through coughs. 

Nathan turned around to find Jonathan slowly getting to his feet. He quickly surveyed the room, searching for their mysterious visitor, but he couldn't see her. He then hobbled over to the chamber entrance. "I think she's gone," he said.

"Are you sure?" asked Jonathan, caressing his side. His face suddenly went white. "Dr. Helmsley!"

Dr. Helmsley's body still lay slumped over outside the chamber against a pile of rubble. Jonathan kneeled down beside her and checked her pulse. He gasped. "Thank goodness!" he shouted. "She's alive, and I think she may be all right. I think she's just unconscious."

Nathan stood over Jonathan as he examined Dr. Helmsley. He was looking around the cave when a shiny object caught his eye. He picked up the gold necklace he spotted and headed to the small chamber. The torch to the room was still lit so he held up the necklace. The charm attached to it cast a shadow next to the symbol on the wall.

"It's the symbol for the Firewalker," said Jonathan, while standing beside him. "It's the same symbol used —"

"As the crest for the Order," finished Nathan.

Jonathan nodded. "Yes, you are correct." He stood closer to the wall with the symbol and inspected the damage. There was a sad look on his face as he traced his fingers across the remaining symbols. "What I don't understand," he said, "is why our nefarious visitor was trying to kill us."

Nathan walked over to the wall and wiped the dust from the hieroglyphs. He then stood back. "I don't think she was trying to kill us," he said. "Dr. Helmsley maybe, but not us."

Jonathan raised his eyebrows and then surveyed the rubble and damage in the room. "And how do you surmise that?" he asked.

"Because she had us," he said. "She could have killed us if she wanted to, but she didn't." Nathan placed the gold necklace into his pocket. "I don't even think she was aiming at us," he said. "From the looks of it, I would say she was trying to destroy the wall."

"That is quite plausible," said Jonathan. "Tonight I received a text from Dr. Helmsley saying that she felt like someone was following her, and that's why I came here. About a week ago, she told me that after she contacted Dr. Colvers about her discovery, she felt like someone was after her; that her life was in danger."

"But it's just a symbol," said Nathan. "I mean, what could be so threatening about it that you would want to kill someone over it? What exactly did Dr. Helmsley discover?"

Jonathan pushed his glasses farther up on his nose and pointed to the symbols. "See, it's not just about the one symbol," he said. "I mean, it is a very important one, but it's what all the symbols together say about the Firewalker that makes it so special."